1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

For all you Kodachrome fans

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Replytoken, May 12, 2014.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    • Like Like x 6
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    That's why a song was written about Kodachrome and the colours were always referred to as 'Chocolate Box' colours, and nothing else beat it for resolution, especially Kodachrome 25.

3. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    What great looking film stock. I wish VSCO would do an emulation, but they say they never will :frown:

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Ken!

I've a collection of KC slides I made in the late 1960's and very early '70's; they've been stored in darkened trays and low humidity conditions and the colors seem to be as vibrant now as they were when I first took the shots.

Some of the mounts have degraded over time - I should get off my duff and send 'em into a lab for remounting...

The ASA (now "ISO") ranges were a bit limited; most of mine were ISO 25, while some were "fast" slides at ISO 64 :eek:.

I am still somewhat amazed at what an E-M5 can do when compared to an original Pen FT film camera - but the colors of ASA 25 slide film properly exposed have to be seen to be believed :thumbup:.

Thanks for posting the links!

Regards,

Jim

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The Kodachrome film technology was quite different to that of other transparency films of the day and it's reported that processed slides would last 100+ years without degradation, as long as they were stored appropriately.

6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    They said the same thing about CDs...

7. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Hi Jim,

I was in your neck of the woods last week visiting my mother. Hoping your weather warmed up as was promised the day we left. I have a share of Kodachrome slides (ASA 25 & 64) as well, but I suspect the images in the book were mostly from LF & MF transparencies, and mostly at ASA 8. I like reviewing my slides from time to time, but they still look pale in comparison to these images. I suspect some things in life are just meant to look a little larger than life, and these shots seem to fall into that category for me. Yes, I can crank up the saturation on my digital images, but that just seems like imitation, and that is not my shooting style for the most part. I enjoy these just as I enjoy a fine silver gelatin print. A work of beauty to appreciate.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    In this instance it wasn't mere supposition. The dye technology and processing methodology was completely different to that of convention transparency film, it was truly archival quality. There are fully recorded archives of Kodachrome that are over 60 years old, for example: http://pavel-kosenko.livejournal.com/303194.html?thread=22669914.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I remember the debates about which was a more archival stock, Ektachrome or Kodachrome. IIRC, one turned out to have better resistance to fading from exposure to projection lighting, but kept in ideal conditions and not exposed to light, I believe both could survive for reasonable periods of time. But, yes, K-14 was a unique process that was unlike almost any other processing technique. Having said that, I do admit to liking the look of some of my Ektachrome and Fujichrome slides, mostly when the subject and emulsion were properly matched.

--Ken

10. dpaultx

dpaultx Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2014
    North TX
    The only thing more beautiful than a Kodachrome slide was a Cibachrome print made from it. Those were truly the days.

dp

• Like Like x 2
  11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I remember when the first Cibachrome prints came out. Where I was studying photography, the department had printed out a Cibachrome print and pinned it to an outside notice board, under a glass cover, but in full sun for at least six hours a day and after at least three years, it hadn't changed one bit. I had some truly amazing shots printed on Cibachrome from 4x5 transparencies.

12. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Tourist dollars always welcome, please leave your wallet at the airport gift shop when departing Detroit :biggrin:. Yep, the weather, after a long record setting winter, has turned around. Rain all this week but temps are holding nicely :thumbup:.

Ken, I suspect you're correct :biggrin:.

Lovely images - I wish I had the talent and patience (although I'd settle for either one at this point, when I have neither). I did shoot slower when I shot slide film (no correcting errors in 'post processing' were allowed :wink:) but still I shot too quickly. My fatal flaw in photography other than my complete lack of talent.

Are you reviewing your slides via projector? My Argus is down for the count (warranty ran out...about 40 years ago :biggrin:). I picked up an Epson scanner awhile back but haven't gotten round to actually digitizing the slides.

Regards,

Jim

13. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Believe it or not, I have mostly been using a loupe and light table. I need to get my Nikon scanner back in action.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  14. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I cut my photo "teeth" on KC. I sure do miss how simple it was then. I don't miss the expense!!

15. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    DXO Filmpack includes Kodachrome 64 emulation - in version 3 it was nothing like the original kodachrome, in version 4 its a lot closer to the original kodachrome. Nik also provides a kodachrome emulation too - it's not the original kodachrome, but it's not bad either if you want a good starting point to try and replicate the look. I like it either way :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    There was no MF Kodachrome "back in the day". Kodachrome was available in MF, 120 only, for a brief time in the '80s. Prior to that, the only roll film Kodachrome was 828 (aka "Bantam"), which is only slightly larger that 35mm FF and would not count as Medium Format, and 126 Instamatic, if you want to consider it a roll film (again, not MF). During time period of the book Kodachrome was available in 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 in addition to 135 (35mm in standard cassettes) along with 16mm and 8mm movie stock.

• Like Like x 2
  17. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Awesome.
    Thanks for sharing.

18. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    My favorite color film emulations are Replichrome by Totally Rad. They've just released a set of color slide film emulations. Interestingly, they have not offered a Kodachrome emulation. Without a way to process the actual film, I suspect they never will.

For black and white, it's hard to choose between Replichrome, Nik and DXO. Each offers some excellent options.

19. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I was not specifically referring to one specific size when I referenced MF and LF, but rather making the distinction that they were most likely a format larger than 135. Yes, I could have eliminated the MF reference, but I did not know if everybody considered 4x5 a LF (although I suspect that most would). Thanks for the clarification!

--Ken

20. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark