1. Robert Evangelista

Robert Evangelista Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2016
    Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
    Robert Evangelista
    Weekend Photography: 49 - Foodography

Recently I have seen you-tube videos about Food Photography.

For hobbyist like us. Getting subjects are one of the challenge.
    But food subjects, it is one of the easiest subjects to go by.
    I mean we eat 3 times a day.
    At least on the weekends some of us go out try out food, outside of our regular places.
    So that is why now I am starting to venture into this kind of photography.
    And so far this is what I have learned, that cold be useful to you if you are a casual hobbyist like me.
    • FINDING GOOD FOOD: This is the toughest thing to do, it is hard to find great food that appeals to you, there is a lot out there the competition is tough. Google and Trip Advisor ranking system makes it easy and accurate for you simply because it is a crowd source ranking system. Where the customers rate the restaurant. The good goes on top, and the best stays on top. After finding them check the restaurants Facebook page / Instagram page, it is typically where they showcase their latest menu and the most popular dishes. Believe me when I say this, I have worked hard to find good places, only to realize that Trip Advisor and Google have conveniently listed my top list on their own. However it is good also to walk arround and find great places, if you tried hard enough you will find a gem.
    • LIGHTING: If you have no flash or not familiar with it, ask to be seated next to the window. The goal is to make a 2D picture as 3D as possible and you can do that with Side and or Back lighting coupled with depth of field.
    • PRIVACY: Ask for the bill right away so that there is no additional distractions.Wear some earphones so they leave you alone.I tend to shoot with Aperture Priorty. Set aperture to achieve dpeth of field desired. If there is an outdoor table go for that.
    • MODE: If there is enough light, I go for f/3.5 or Higher. to have the front and back of the subject in focus.Adjust exposure Compensation to achieve desired exposure. I tend to choose to have some highlights, those emphasize the the thickness of the sauce, texture of the food. Shadows to emphasize the volume.
    • SHUTTER SPEED: Check Shutter Speeds and avoid going down below 2x the focal length.
    • SETUP: Set aside distracting objects like, random table top condiments, extra utensils. Or unflattering table mats. Brochures. etch. Make sure the utensils are clean. Alwaysconsider the table texture and color and include them on the composition. For Flat Lays photos if you find it tough to align the food to the tables lines, go against the lines and commit! :)
    DAY 23

A perfect day for a perfect bite

@ METAL BOX CAFE & RESTAURANT
    LOCATION MAP: Metal Box Cafe & Restaurant
    PC040427.jpg PC040414.jpg PC040404.jpg PC040425.jpg PC040409.jpg PC040408.jpg PC030271.jpg PC030278.jpg PC030308.jpg PC030319.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2016
    challange accepted.
    expect to see round ferrogamma glassess right next to the food.%)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Robert Evangelista

Jun 19, 2016
    Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
    Robert Evangelista
    The Glasses, serves as my water mark of sorts :)

4. Robert Evangelista

Jun 19, 2016
    Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
    Robert Evangelista
    Another good place to eat brunch...
    GROUND EATERY
    LINK
    It is very tough to use the 45mm for food,
    The 17mm does not look natural. Parts of the subject that is close to the camera distorts Specially on the outer edges.
    However 25mm is the sweet spot, easy to get the table in frame.
    So I tried using my kit lens today 12-50 regular zoom.
    Just because it is hard to take a picture from the tall table I sat on.

PC100007.jpg PC110002.jpg PC110012.jpg PC110015.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Tried shooting food I cooked (and cook) myself a while back . Not sure I succeeded but pleased with my results. Still photograph my cooking occasionally to this day. When I have my heart attack there'll be evidence of why ;)
    These were shot with the Olympus 60mm F/2.8 on the E-M5.

Lamb.jpg
    scones.jpg
    SweetnSourChicken.jpg
    Kidney.jpg

MORE FOOD EXAMPLES HERE

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Santa

Santa Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 13, 2016
    Tennessee
    Tom Staggs
    IMG_1574.JPG I don't have round Sunglasses but thought I would submit a Hardy Country Breakfast to the Thread.
    I submitted the same Breakfast to the January Contest taken with a 14 mm and there was some distortation. I am much happier with this picture taken with the 25 mm. You won't walk away hungry!

7. M.V.

M.V. New to Mu-43

Monday
    Slovenia, Europe
    Marko
    OK, I'll bite. :biggrin:
    My wife loves to bake various sweets. Occasionally I am commissioned to provide photos for her recipes. I prefer to break the rules of traditional foodography a little bit so I mainly use Leica 45 mm Macro lens and work in closeup, which also serves as a workaround for not having elaborate set-ups or lighting.

Marko

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg