1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fokusbracketing insects

Discussion in 'Nature' started by GRID, Mar 28, 2016.

1. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I was a bit sceptical about how the bracketing would handle the focussteps when shooting macro on quite small insects, but now finaly the snow is gone where i live and some flyes and spiders are waking up so i could test it for real, and as it turned out it works better than i could hope for!
    Even at F2.8 the steps cover the subject just fine, and it moves so little 25 images wasnt enough to cover the fly. (next time i´ll try F5 and maybe 3 or 4 on the focussteps)
    Fluga_02_.

F4,5 here, but focussteps was at 1 so i think i can use higher values the next time.
    Hoppspindel_01_.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  2. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Very nice shots - I find this feature very intriguing and it is something that could make me upgrade at some point- But how does it work? Do you have to find a critter that doesnt move for a few seconds or how long between the shoots? (i.e is it burst rate does it require a fast SD card?) Does the consolidation of the different shoots occur in camera or how?

3. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    Yes you need a critter that isnt moving, my E-M1 takes 11 images/sec so these two had to sit still for alittle more than 2 sec.
    I stack the images in Zerene Stacker and Photoshop because when you use Focusbracketing it only saves the images as normal on the memorycard.
    (Fokusstacking in camera merge the images but then youre limited to 8 or 9 images max i think)

4. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Thanks - i assume you can do it handheld as long as you keep a descent shutter speed?

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah, pretty easy handheld (once you can master steady hand holding required for macro anyway). I can even get away with stacking up to about 4 images at f/16 with a flash (recycle time in between each), they tend to spook after that though.

• Like Like x 2
  6. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    Yes I usually try to stay above 1/80, but if I can shoot at F2.8 i´ll get much faster speed than that, so i´m looking forward to do alot of Stacking this summer :)

7. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Please share when you do :)

In my own experience I have gotten the best macro results with a flash keeping the shutter at 1/200 (or is it 250 that is the max sync speed). I find the oly 60mm sharpest up to F8 or so (not exactly sure where the sweet spot is) but you may want to experiment with a bit smaller aperture and fewer shots, I surely would like to know how this works best :)

8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Don't want to hijack the thread too much, but here's an example of deep DoF stacking with a flash (it's a bit over 1.3x magnification before stacking and cropping): Spiders

9. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I like natural light for my macro, maybe a LED or Flash for lightning up the darks.
    This was more of a first tests to see if I can go as low as F2.8 if it´s a low light situation, and the stacking clearly can cope with it so i´m happy :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Yes that another bonus with the stacking that you are able to do macro shots even in low light (edit i.e. low light when you did not bring a flash)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016