1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Foggy spot on lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by steve, Mar 13, 2016.

1. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    Hi,

I have an Olympus 12-40 2.8 lens that has a small foggy spot on the inside of the glass. It does not affect the image at all. But I am looking to sell the lens and would like to get this fixed before I do. The lens is about 2-3 months old and I never filled out the warrantee card. Is this something that can be easily fixed? Please take a look at the image below. The foggy spot is at the top (the other mark is a reflection).

Thanks,

Steve

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    You can register the warranty online or send in the card; they should fix it.

3. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

They should do it based on the serial number too.

4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    its hard to say with that photograph, but it looks very much like mold to me.

If its mould then you won't get any warranty.

Have you been dillegently storing the lens in some sort of bag like a Lowepro? I mention this as this is about the worst place you can store them because they act as a moisture buffer and keep moist conditions perfect for fungal spores to germinate.

I was once at a Leica repair facility and a guy came in who'd kept all his lenses wrapped in cloths in his bag and despite being only 3 years old were all ruined by mold.

Try examining the lens with a lamp beneath it (not sitting on the lamp, just beneath it), and looking though from the top but holding the lens so that you don't look at the lamp but to one side. This will create a maximum flare situation and allow you to see the elements more carefully.

Just a general tip on this subject if you happen to live in a warm moist environment. For instance in Finland although its often moist outside, because its cold much of the time and the houses are heated the Relative Humidity in the house is typically less than 50% so no mold is to be expected. However in my home in Australia 3Km from the Ocean in a sub-tropical environment and RH in side without using AC is >70% most of the time: so mold is expected (and I have a dry cabinet)

in my view ...: fungus and mold on CD's and lenses

in my view ...: humidity and mold

and on why desicant is pointless
    in my view ...: humidity and cameras

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  5. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    this is the most terrifying thread ever.

I am having a stern reading of your posts, @pellicle@pellicle. Mould is not something I ever want in my lenses.

6. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    Hi - Thank you all for your replies. I registered the lens online and am planning to take to a local camera shop to identify what this may be. I hope its not mold. I've only had the lens for a couple of months in the dry air of winter. So humidity has not been an issue for the lens.

7. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hey Steve

hope it pans out well ... would you mind posting back the results? Some of us (me at least) are curious to know. Without seeing it myself I doubt I could make a better diagnosis. I'm sure the camera shop can.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Yes please keep us informed. As an owner of the Oly 12-40mm PRO zoom and living in Alabama where it often gets to and stays higher than 70% relative humidity I worry about this. What I do currently is keep my lenses on a shelf which allows air circulation around the lens and run a dehumidifier in the same room when the humidity gets high. There have been times, in the summer, when it runs all day and keeps the humidity around 50%!
    Bobby

9. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    Yes - I'll follow up with the forum to let you know what Olympus tells me.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    I wanted to provide a follow up to my original post. I sent my lens to Olympus under warranty last week and was shocked to come home from work yesterday and find that UPS had delivered a package from Olympus. Olympus had cleaned the lens to the point where it looks brand new. Very happy!

• Like Like x 5