1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

focusing with the GF1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Kiyohiko, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Kiyohiko

Kiyohiko Mu-43 Rookie

Hey guys!

I have a few questions before getting a GF1...
    I haven't been able to find any around here where I live, that I can try hands on, so I was wondering... how comfortable are you guys auto-focusing on your point of choice?

Also, I'm not planning on getting a viewfinder... does anyone here have any trouble without it? Seeing the LCD and composing the shot?

What if I mount a Canon lens to the GF1, and have to manually focus... how easy is it to get the focus spot on in the LCD?

thanks in advance!

2. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Hi,

The AF and composing from LCD is easy. But I wouldn't recommend manual lenses unless you're an (ex) film user. :p Alternatively you can get the EVF, it helps a lot.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The AF has a spot mode. You can define both the location and the size of the spot.

4. ginggreenaninja

ginggreenaninja Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2010
    South Yorkshire
    All the G series models have an AF Zoom feature that digitally zooms in on the LCD to show you where you are focusing. This helps you check fucus before taking the shot.

5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Welcome!

The only problem you might have is on bright days outside where you may have some difficulty seeing the LCD. There are some add-ons available that can block the external light from the LCD to make it easier to see. Or you can block the light with your hand or hat like I do - the GF1 is small enough and the controls laid out conveniently enough to be easily held and managed in one hand (unless you have a long lens on it).

I had an external viewfinder but sold it as I found this worked well enough for me.

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Also, one other issue regarding focus accuracy - CDAF systems like used in the m43's cameras are more accurate than PDAF systems used in "normal" DSLRs. You will not have the front/back focus issues you might be used to in an SLR model.

7. grum

grum Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    I manually focus just fine and I never used film cameras.

8. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    I find the LCD works just fine. Bright sun is a problem, but I'm able to rely on autofocus, using the display for framing and information. If you will be using manual focus lenses often and can live with the extra size, you might consider the G1. It's available at rock-bottom prices right now. Although it has no video, it has the same sensor as the GF1 -- and a quality electronic viewfinder.

9. Kiyohiko

Kiyohiko Mu-43 Rookie

thanks for all the replies :)

I feel a lot more assured now that I won't have problems composing/focusing without the viewfinder. I won't be using my Canon lenses much, I'll have them on just for the occasional fun. I really like how compact the camera is, so I want to keep its size down and use just pancake lenses and no external viewfinders/flashes.

10. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    If it back focus, just try re-pressing the autofocus again, usually it got the subject right on second or third try.
    Even in bright sun, there’s usually enough visible key point objects in the LCD to imagine the overall framing.

For manual focus, despite the glare, I think when getting used to it, you could manual focus quickly without needing the focus assist zoom and get acceptable result. Even with longer lens, for street shot the objects should be far enough to have larger DoF to focus.

11. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    Is this available in video mode, especially during movie recording?