Focusing with the 45mm 1.8

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by webmonkey8, Mar 7, 2012.

1. webmonkey8

webmonkey8 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2012

I got myself the Olympus EPL3, along with the highly rated Olympus 45mm 1.8 portrait lens. Taking pictures with this lens is a delight, however for the face detection focusing. Most of the time when using iAuto mode, it auto focuses on whatever it sees fit. But when I shoot in P-mode, I can point focus, which is fine.

However, when trying to take a picture of several people, for example, the EPL3 does detect the faces, but only focuses mainly on one face or 2, not every. The other faces are a bit out of focus. Do I have to change something in the aperture? In certain situations, I would also like to have the background to be in focus as well. How is this done? Or am I using the wrong lens for this application?

Also, I find taking videos with this lens slow to focus when pointing to different subject with various distances. If I'm taking a video of a particular subject at 2 meters away from me, it focuses correctly, still using the depth of field. But when I point the camera to another subject that's further away, it's not in focus until I keep it still and then it auto focuses in about a couple of seconds. Again, is something I have to configure in the aperture settings? Am I using the wrong lens for video?

I'm new to this whole micro 4/3rds world, coming from a point and shoot camera and any advice would be appreciated!

2. tetzumaru

tetzumaru Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2012
    f1.8 = less area in focus, f22 = more area of the shot will be in focus. as to adjusting the aperture, if you are in Aperture mode it can be adjusted by the wheel dial or whatever that circle thing is called.

As to face detect I cant really predict how that system behaves, so I turned mine off. 45mm 1.8 is the perfect portrait lens.
  3. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    When using face detect mode, you also have to have certain other settings active for face detect to actually work (All Targets AF Area, Digital ESP/"matrix" Metering). Depending on what method you're using to turn face detect on or off, it may not be changing the AF and metering to match.

For example, if you have the Fn button set to switch face detect on or off, it automatically changes AF and metering. But if you go through the Super Control Panel to turn face detect on, it does not change your AF target or metering settings.

That said, I'm still not sure how smart the face detect feature is in terms of knowing how much depth of field you need and whether to adjust aperture accordingly - it might only adjust aperture to get a decent exposure, and if some of the faces are farther away they could still be out of focus.

Edit: to say that this is how it works on the E-PL1, maybe they've improved the SCP on the E-PL3 so toggling face detect also changes the other settings...