Focusing the GX-7. Having problems

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Drdave944, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I am having some problems getting my Gx -7 to focus where I want it. I use the selective focus tool and like my focal point to be in the center by default. You can
    also set the size of the focal point. I was able to get my subject focused most of the time but the focus box won't stay put. I wants to move to the upper left part on the screen no mater what the subject. Then I have to drag it where I want it with the touch screen but then it moves around again.
    I need to take candid pictures fast. I don't want to waste time having to put the focal point back where it should be.. I had a really bad situation today where I wanted to take a picture of a girl and she was back lit. I took three shots but the camera insisted on focusing on some bushes and a tree in the background. This makes it hard to get the sharp focus on the intended subject. Instead the camera focuses where it wants to ,usually some sharply linear object.

Then things got really bad..I put the camera on face detect,manual assist with focus peaking and turned on the touch focus screen. Then every thing went hit or miss and I got 20 to thirty out of focus pictures. I had to start using manual assist on every picture. Then I found a way to get things working by turning on touch picture taking. Then the pictures would be in focus where I hit the screen. I thought you were supposed to be able to touch focus and then shoot with the push button .
    There seems to be some software glitch or perhaps I don't know how to use the camera. Usually I use an EM-5 with no difficulty. There is a learning curve with this camera,I kid you not. I use the GF 5 and the GH2,but this GX-7 is turning out to be a weird bird. I am sending the picture in question.

ANY suggestions? Thanks

untitled-99.JPG untitled-99.JPG

Attached Files:

2. pisanoal

pisanoal Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    I would turn off the touch screen functionality. Set your focus point to the center and then just turn off touch screen. It sounds like you are accidently moving the focus point by touching the screen either with your nose when using the evf, or with your body if you are using a camera strap. I had a similar problem on my gx7 except I always accidently moved it to the bottom left. The only time i use the touch screen is to move the focus point when im shooting on a tripod, and shooting a lot of exposures where I want to focus on something other then center, in which case its easy enough to go into the menu and turn it back on. Otherwise I just focus then recompose if i dont want focus on the center frame.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Is your nose moving the focus point by accident?

Turn off touch-screen forever ... anyway I do. (Not got GX7)

Anyway, to my eyes both her glasses and the tree are in focus... I might be blinded by the subject.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Drdave944

Feb 2, 2012
    You both are right. I am left eyed. I noticed that my nose was touching the screen ,making the selective focus move. I had to take 10 pictures of her darn it!
    I then made things worse by inadvertently turning off focus at half button push. I don't know what this is for as it turns your auto focus into manual focus in a back door sort of way. Now am turning screen control off after centering it. I can check focus with pinpoint focus setting by half focusing ,which then brings up a magnified verification hat your subject to check for focus. This is quite a nice feature.

5. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    I think we can all understand your immense frustrations at not getting perfect focus on this girl and her two friends :eek:mg: :hiding:

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    But look on the bright side. The OP can ask her back to pose again. :wink: And next time he can try to keep the beer tap handle out of the photo.

7. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    This is what we get when we tend to rely on autofocus to do some of our work for us.

Now, don't get me wrong. I do use autofocus quite a bit for the convenience, but unless time doesn't allow I often use manual focus + focus assist (GH3 and GX1). As soon as I touch the focus ring the magnified view pops up, I focus where I need to and touch the shutter release and full view is back. Press the shutter button and I have it.

If I need to use autofocus I do try to avoid touching the screen. On both of my m4/3 cameras switching focus modes is easy to keep track of. I don't have the GX7 yet but I'm sure eyeing it, it's pretty much what the GX1 should have been (I use the GX1 with accessory external EVF as my "knockabout" camera).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Drdave944

Feb 2, 2012
    You are right. The beer tap handle is a detracting element I had somehow not noticed before.:smile:

9. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The AF on my eyes refused to focus on the glasses. Or the tree.

@Drdave944 -- In order for me to diagnose and solve the problem with your GX7, you'll need to post ALL the photos you took of THIS subject. Two photos is not a meaningful sampling for the detailed study this issue merits.

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    This thread is descending ...

11. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011