1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Focusing speed with Panasonic 20mm and em10

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by correos.e, Mar 4, 2014.

1. correos.e

correos.e Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Hi everyone, i will get an om10. While i love the size and the quality of the panasonic 20mm, i mostly use my gear to photograph my kids indoors, and my mark I was frustratingly slow (searching) in low light with my oly epm1. I switched to the nice oly 17mm but that one is rather big (in comparison).
    Would the new sensor and engine on the om10 make a difference or would I still have the slow focusing issue indoors?
    Thanks!

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    No. 20mm is a slow focusing lens with outdated external focusing mechanism.

3. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Yup, that's pretty much what I found.

Waaaay back in the day, when there ยต4/3 lens selection was bleak- it was fantastic, and it still is, but the amount of fast focusing and variety of lenses has really spoiled me. An internally focusing lens is pretty fantastic.

4. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I have to agree that 20 1.7 is one of the slowest focusing lens in m4/3 system, the successful rate to lock on energetic kids indoor is rather low. I would highly suggest using the 17 1.8 instead

5. correos.e

correos.e Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Thanks! Too bad though :)

6. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I love the photos I see here posted taken with the P20, but I know that I value fast focusing too much to buy one. I hear great things about the 17 and may try one at some point, but I think I prefer the 25mm focal length instead, so I bought the PL25. I'd suggest that or the new O25, but I know many prefer the 17mm focal length.

7. boostin

boostin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    The focus speed if it were mount on lumix gx7 not bad at all.

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It's a slow lens on my GF-2, it's a slow lens on my E-M1 (and was on my E-M5). I depends on your frame of reference, I guess, but for me it's annoying lethargic in anything but the brightest light, where it's merely acceptable, and even then only for relatively static subjects. It's a shame, because it's quite wonderful in terms of size and optical quality.