1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Focusing sounds ...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Lew, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    My GH3 makes sounds like it's auto-focusing while I'm not shooting & it's hanging from my neck. What I imagine to be happening is that every time ambient light is cut off due to its nestling on my too ample midriff, it "thinks" it's at my eye framing another shot. Am I right about this? Any way to prevent it short of turning the camera off?

2. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    If the GH3 is anything like the G5, the default setting is that the autofocus will commence when the eye sensor is activated. I can't recall the exact menu term, but the option is there to turn that feature off. Well, in the G5 it's there....

3. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Thanks, Griswoldo, but I was not asking how to turn auto-focus off.

4. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Yes, I realize that. My apologies for not making my response more clear.

In the custom menu, there is an option called "Eye Sensor AF". The description for this option is, "auto focus starts after looking through the viewfinder." If you have your camera around your neck and it swings around so the viewfinder is darkened, then auto focus will start up. Turn "Eye Sensor AF" off and this won't happen anymore - auto focus will only engage when the shutter button is used. Again, I'm assuming the GH3 is similar to the G5 in this regard.

Hope this helps, and sorry if I'm still not understanding your question.

5. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Thanks. Much better.