focusing problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by lakota, Aug 12, 2013.

1. lakota

lakota Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2013
    ireland
    Roger
    OMD E M5 focus problem whilst using the oly 60mm macro, it initially focuses on subject whilst very close and then stop focusing until you move camera to another position and then it will refocus? anybody had this problem or am I doing something wrong, I am photographing bugs up close so they are continually moving so need to refocus? I am using the viewfinder

thanks

Roger

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I'm not sure I understand the 'problem'. If your focus is set to single-shot AF, and your camera settings are more or less default (half-shutter press AF/AE lock), it won't refocus as long as you don't release and half-press the shutter button again. If you want it to track the moving bug (good luck with that, tracking AF and MFT are not the best of buddies) you will need to change autofocus mode to C-AF.

You may also want to consider practicing manual focus, which sometimes/often works better for Macro work.

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Shooting bugs{or anything moving} close up is hard! Macro makes it even harder{that much closer}. Try C-AF but I have never cared for it myself as it often looses the point it is suppose to be tracking. Works good with super high contrast. A black ant on a grey sidewalk for instance.

4. lakota

lakota Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2013
    ireland
    Roger
    thanks guys going to try manual focus as I use manual mode anyway rather set everything myself