1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Focusing past inifinity. How to correct?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Zenn1nja64, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Zenn1nja64

Zenn1nja64 New to Mu-43

Jul 4, 2012
    I did some searching and I really couldnt find any information. Anyways I have a em5 with both the pana 14mm and 45-200 and I picked up my first tripod last night for the 4th tomorrow and I was just doing some night time practice shots and trying a few different things that would work best. Since I can barely see what im shooting ( i live about 15 miles from our major town which is only about 10,000 people ) at night and I was shooting the sky I would just focus it out to infinity.

My only problem is it seems both lenses end up going past infinity by a good bit instead of stopping. It through my off because it looked like my focus was right just going off the screen but getting back it's was pretty far off. I could have zoomed in to really check it but i assumed they would just stop at infinity.
    http://i.imgur.com/5QRDj.jpgThats how they all came out. Anyone know of a camera setting or something to adjust the em5 to the lenses? I know it's focus by wire but i dont think they should both do it.

2. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    here is what i do when shooting night shots. Put the camera in manual mode for shutter speed, F-stop, manual focus and turn IS OFF. Then put the shutter mode delay to 2 second anti shock and if you have a remote shutter release plug that in - that is a plus. Switch to live view on the lcd and not use the view finder. This allows you to use the zoom frame function, page 45 in the manual. If shooting the moon, use the arrow controls to get the zoom box over the moon and press the zoom button again to enlarge the image on the screen. now you can manual focus on the moon. once you get the focus, snap the picture. since the moon is moving, use at least a shutter speed of 200 and Fstop range of 6 - 10, depending upon the phase and sky conditions. when doing stars, pick the brightest and zoom into that star and focus until you get a sharp image, it should not be fuzzy.
    hope this helps some.
    frank