Focusing area OM-D E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RenaudVL, Jul 25, 2012.

1. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    I was looking to find a way to reduce the size of the center focusing area on the OM-D. I find it i bit big.

I know how to do it, and I use to do it on my E-P2. By going in the manual focus mode and changing the magnification ration to 10x it would then reduce the focusing area in auto-focus as well...

Any way to do the same with the OM-D E-M5

Thanks, and I did try....

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    The short answer is yes, to 14 X. I use the 'touch screen to focus' function to quickly achieve it.
    This site would probably explain it better than I. suggested settings for the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro Four Thirds camera [Gary Ayton's photography wiki]
    There are also links to others as well.
  3. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    You mean reduce the size of the green focus box? I am wondering how to do that too. On my E-PL1 I can do it following these simple directions: E-PL1 focus box but those directions won't work on the OM-D because the OM-D doesn't have a magnify button.
  4. vchaney

vchaney Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2010
    You can set the fn2 button to do this. By default the fn2 button should be set to curves which brings up a small curve chart toshow highlights and shadows. You can change this to magnify by holdong fn2 and turning the dial. When pressed fn2 should then bring up the smaller box. You can turn one of the dials (front I think) to select 7, 10 or 14x to reduce the size of the box. You can also set other buttons to magnify in the button configuration in the gears menu.
  5. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Great vchaney,
    It worked as you described it
    Thank you