1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Focusing an Olympus Zuiko four thirds 40-150mm lens on a GX1

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by craniac, Aug 4, 2013.

1. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    Hi, I bought a four thirds Olympus Zuiko 40-150mm lens thinking it was *micro* four thirds, then bought an adapter after I figured out my mistake.

Now that I've installed the lens with the adapter, I set the camera to "shoot with no lens" because it can't identify it, which is normal.

However, the manual focus ring doesn't focus the lens, as far as I can tell. Is there something else I should configure in the camera side? Is the lens possibly broken? Am I annoyingly uninformed? (yes.)

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I didn't realize in my answer in the other thread that this was a 4/3 lens. In fact, when using 4/3 lenses, you CAN, with the proper adapter (one which has electrical contacts) have those lenses focus on a Micro 4/3 camera. But in actual fact, the focus will be very slow. If you still can, I would actually return that lens and get one that is designed for Micro 4/3. They are smaller, and they will perform MUCH better. The lens you has uses something known as "focus by wire". Which means, it only will work if the lens is electrically connected to the camera.

BTW, if you have the right kind of adapter, the Micro 4/3 cameras CAN recognize the 4/3 lenses, and you should not need to set it on "shoot without a lens" - although, that shouldn't matter. Again, the key point is, you need to be using an adapter that DOES have electrical contacts on both sides, for the lens to work properly on the camera. Assuming you can't get it to work, or you have the wrong adapter for it to work, I would recommend that you return the lens, and get a micro 4/3 version of the lens. It will perform better by far, and make your life much easier when using it.

3. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    Thank you again! The lens was only $50, so by the time I pay shipping and return it I'm not getting much in return, so maybe I can sell it on Ebay for a few bucks. The adapter I bought from Rainbow Imaging does not appear to have any electrical contacts.

4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The lack of electrical contacts is why you can't focus the lens. It only focuses "by wire" which means, electronically.

The non-electrical adapters tend to cost $25 or less, while the cheapest ones with electrical contacts tend to cost at least $40, more often closer to $50 - unless you buy the genuine Olympus or Panasonic ones, which cost over $100.

The purpose of the non-electrical 4/3 to M4/3 adapters is if you already have legacy lenses with 4/3 adapters on them, the non-electrical 4/3 to m4/3 adapter converts a lens already adapted to 4/3 to Micro 4/3. But those mechanical only adapters won't work with electronic 4/3 lenses such as the one you bought.

An example of the correct electronic adapter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Prost-A...ens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item460ed12b80

5. Chuck-B&H

Chuck-B&H Sponsor

Apr 28, 2012
    Hello,

By "then bought an adapter" I assume this is an extension tube, meaning you moved the lens further away from the focal plane. When this set up is used, focusing is best achieved by moving the camera and lens together by means of a focusing platform. Focusing via the lens will at best will be for fine tuning. For extreme macro shooting, the distance of the focal plane and optical center of the lens from the subject is critical. In short for 1:1, you double the focal length of the lens in focusing distance (this is where the extension tube comes in).

The Super Mag Slider is a lightweight macro stage for very precise 4-way camera alignment: forward, back, left and right. Ideal for precise close-up work, tilting or macro-photography.

The Super Mag Slider provides 2.5" top maximum movement, 1.3" bottom maximum movement, and only weighs 1 lb. The overall length of the top plate is 8.1", and the bottom base is 4.4". Features two reversible 1/4-20" to 3-8" tripod connections, and a 1/4-20" camera screw.