1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Focusing: AFC vs AF Tracking Modes

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Wasabi Bob, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I was recently asked what the difference is between AFC (Continuous Auto Focus) and AF Tracking, both offered on Panasonic's current Lumix G series cameras?

After contacting some low friends in high places ;-) I was able to get the raw data and create this explanation. I think this will be helpful to some of you.

AFC (G Series Focus Mode Switch )
    The camera focuses on a moving subject. If there is another moving subject that appears at same time, the camera may focus on the unintended subject. In the case of the LUMIX G series cameras, the camera’s priority logic focuses on the closer of the two moving subjects. The camera may focus on unintended subject, if the secondary subject appears in front of your primary subject. This function and behavior is a reality with both the phase difference AF and contrast AF

AF tracking (offered on G Series cameras with touch focus control)
    The camera recognizes the selected subject and focuses in accordance with the movement of the subject. In the case of the LUMIX G series cameras, the camera distinguishes and recognizes the subject by the color (and contrast). So a possible scenario could be if the camera focuses on a green vehicle (with AF Tracking) and passes in the front of a tree. The camera may switch focus to the green leaves of the tree. This operation and behavior of the AF tracking feature is only experienced with the contrast AF system.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    But if you have focus tracking on in AF-S mode, doesn't it continue to track?

3. Wasabi Bob

more info

This is applicable to the GH2 and new GF2. Let's say you have it in AF-S. You can tap the touch screen to switch the focusing and start tracking an object. The purpose of sharing this was only to explain how the two modes differ.

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I guess, that's what I'm saying - my GF1 does this, albeit without the touch screen simplicity.

5. Wasabi Bob

That's correct

I was recently asked what the difference is between AFC (Continuous Auto Focus) and AF Tracking, both offered on Panasonic's current Lumix G series cameras? GF1 is a current model....

I think you may have misunderstood my intent - it was to simply explain the way each feature works.