Focus tuning and multiple adapters

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Speedliner, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Quick question re tuning focus for 4/3 lenses. I have two Mmf-3 adapters and I was wondering if I should always use a lens with the same adapter it was "tuned" with, or if it's ok to interchange them?

First thought was better to keep same but maybe it due any matter. Then I thought that having to ensure in always using the same eliminates the convenience of having multiples.

Anyone have experience?

2. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    I assume you manually focus,so don't you "tune"it every time you take a picture? That is unless you change the focal length,then you might adjust the IS.

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I can't see a reason it'd be a problem unless the adapters are not all the same thickness.

4. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    They're all Oly Mmf-3s. They should be the same, but there might be minor manufacturing variances. Probably more important things to be concerned with but if you've ever focus tuned a lens, it's a nuisance and you want to think you don't have to think about it again

5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    Personally I would always use the same MMF3 with the lens it was adjusted with. In theory they should be identical, but they have a tolerance that things have to meet so there could be a slight difference. You could have one from each extreme end and that could cause enough a difference. Once I get a 2nd EM1 I'll get a 2nd MMF3 and use one with each of my two 4/3 lenses, if I add more lenses I'll most likely get one for each.

With the Focus Tune system I can do my 150 in 20 minutes or less. Because I am so neurotic about stuff I would probably test with each MMF3 just to see if there was difference (focus confirmation test is pretty easy to do). Even then I would probably keep each together.

I also do the alignment every 6 months and before any big outings. Right now I do it each October and April which works out perfectly for the airshow and spring.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.