Focus tuning and multiple adapters

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Speedliner, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Quick question re tuning focus for 4/3 lenses. I have two Mmf-3 adapters and I was wondering if I should always use a lens with the same adapter it was "tuned" with, or if it's ok to interchange them?

First thought was better to keep same but maybe it due any matter. Then I thought that having to ensure in always using the same eliminates the convenience of having multiples.

Anyone have experience?

2. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I assume you manually focus,so don't you "tune"it every time you take a picture? That is unless you change the focal length,then you might adjust the IS.

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I can't see a reason it'd be a problem unless the adapters are not all the same thickness.

4. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    They're all Oly Mmf-3s. They should be the same, but there might be minor manufacturing variances. Probably more important things to be concerned with but if you've ever focus tuned a lens, it's a nuisance and you want to think you don't have to think about it again

5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Personally I would always use the same MMF3 with the lens it was adjusted with. In theory they should be identical, but they have a tolerance that things have to meet so there could be a slight difference. You could have one from each extreme end and that could cause enough a difference. Once I get a 2nd EM1 I'll get a 2nd MMF3 and use one with each of my two 4/3 lenses, if I add more lenses I'll most likely get one for each.

With the Focus Tune system I can do my 150 in 20 minutes or less. Because I am so neurotic about stuff I would probably test with each MMF3 just to see if there was difference (focus confirmation test is pretty easy to do). Even then I would probably keep each together.

I also do the alignment every 6 months and before any big outings. Right now I do it each October and April which works out perfectly for the airshow and spring.