1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Focus to infinity???

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by BigD, May 25, 2012.

1. BigD

BigD New to Mu-43

May 25, 2012
    Can I focus to infinity with the standard kit lens on the G3? Going to try and shoot some light trails tonight and was told to make sure it was set to infinity.

Thanks

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    "Focusing to infinity" simply means focusing as far out as your lens will focus. With the kit lens it should be a simple matter of turning on manual focus and then racking the focus ring all the way out (which may be to the left or the right depending on how your camera is configured).

Have fun tonight and be sure to come back and share your images.

3. BigD

BigD New to Mu-43

May 25, 2012
    First attempt. Feedback welcome.

480914_3515607606287_1154865397_32608498_1092966245_n.

• Like Like x 4
  4. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Wait a sec - those cars are on the wrong side of the road! :eek: :biggrin:

UK?

5. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    All of my lenses, native included, focus past infinity. Best to check it during the day to determine where your infinity truly is. I was annoyed when I tried cranking it all the way on my first trip and came home with all blurry shots.

Just focus on something far away. You can use a dof calculator to determine the hyper focal distance for the lens / aperture combo you are using. Otherwise focus on something far away manually and make note of it or lock it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    When it comes to feeding coins into toll booths, or feeding parking tickets into barriers, you'll quickly discover that being able to use your right hand to do stuff makes the left side the right side of the road. (-:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Yes! Mentioned this in an old thread a few years ago. If one is doing star trails, find a bright star, set to manual focus, and put the bright star in the middle of the frame. Then use manual focus in zoom mode to get the star as pin point as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  8. For the image above, you don't want the lens focused to infinity. You want it focused on a near object.

• Like Like x 1