Focus to infinity with 12-40EZ and EM10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kgeissler, May 22, 2014.

1. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    I was trying to take some night shots of the star recently and could not figure out how to get the stars in focus. There is nothing on the manual focus ring to show where infinity is. I put the camera in manual mode and turn the focus ring all the way to one direction, and the photo was blurry. Tried the other direction and got the same result. Any ideas on how to get the stars in focus?

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, try turning it all the way, and then back off a little.

Barry

3. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Why didn't you use AF??

The OM-Ds are easily capable of focusing stars. Just point the camere to a bright star, half press, Done.

Then you can switch to MF (because AF on a dark part of the sky is no fun, that's true).

Alternatively you can point the AF to any distant light source. Only problem I could imagine would be completely dark surrounding and cloudy sky. But this is an odd example, why would you want to take a photo of complete darkness?

Christof

4. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    I initially tried AF, but my EM10 could seem to find a focus point. But then again, I was aiming at the sky in general and not a particular star. I will have to see if it can focus on a star the next time I go out.