Focus to infinity in Olympus

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Kaiser Doctor Computer, Jun 18, 2017 at 4:58 PM.

1. Kaiser Doctor Computer

Kaiser Doctor Computer Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 17, 2017
    Malaysia
    Hello all,

With the recent change I've made and joining this forum, I have a question regarding Olympus system.

Back when i was with my Sony a6000, I was able to focus to infinity (using its DMF/Manual focus mode) as it was easy where it will show the focus is in infinity in the Screen/EVF. Not to mention the focus peaking+magnification assists.

Since I do hate Sony's design (the a6000 itself) and did change to Olympus completely (and will not change to another brand anymore), is there any way to do this with Olympus?

If no, how would you focus to infinity without guessing it is in infinity???

2. disaccurate

disaccurate Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 10, 2016
    There is a reset focus on startup option in the super control menu. It'll reset focus (as long as the lens is fly by wire) to infinity on startup or whenever you press the lens release button as that resets the electrical contacts.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  3. Kaiser Doctor Computer

Jun 17, 2017
    Malaysia
    @disaccurate@disaccurate could you please show/share some steps? If possible with pictures on how it is done?

4. disaccurate

disaccurate Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 10, 2016
    On my E-PL6, the menu structure looks like this:
    Menu > Super Control Panel > AF/MF > Reset Lens > On

If the Super Control Panel hasn't been activated, it should be under Menu > Setup Menu (Wrench Icon) > Menu Display > Gear Icon Menu Display > On

Hopefully that helps!

5. Kaiser Doctor Computer

Jun 17, 2017
    Malaysia
    Nope i think you misunderstood what i mean, in Sony, the system tells you when you're using manual focus what focal length you are in now as you turn the focus ring. As you turn to a larger (longer focal length), it will eventually sets to infinity. However, at infinity you still need to turn the focus ring to get the most sharpest focus you can get while in infinity, and that's when your focus peaking +magnification play its role.

Since i don't like Sony but do love it's system, is there any way to imitate this in the Olympus?

Fyi I'm using OMDEM10 M2. So i hope fellow users sharez their thoughts. Thank you.

6. disaccurate

disaccurate Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 10, 2016
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. There's no focus distance indicator as far as I know on Olympus cameras, so the easiest way to get infinity focus (or pretty darn close) is to turn on that setting and just press the lens release button to reset the lens to infinity.

7. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Are you talking about the "Reset Lens" setting? I don't recall that one being available from the SCP. Also I believe it is reset to infinity on power OFF (not power ON) and I believe the reason for this is for lenses whose inner barrels protrude out a bit when focusing in closer, this setting pulls them back in when you turn off the camera ready for storage.

8. disaccurate

disaccurate Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 10, 2016
    I went back and checked and you're correct, it is on power off. It serves two purposes I guess, both pulling the lens back in on power off and then setting the lens to infinity on power on. Apparently m43 bodies set all AF fly by wire lenses to infinity focus on power on, so that's why pressing the lens release button works.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Lens reset Its a useful feature when shooting astrophotography in the dark. The EVF focus distance display on sony cameras is handy too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Are you simply looking for the magnify/peaking focus assist? If so, go into the focus menu' (A) and enable "MF assist", you can choose magnify, peaking or both. Then switch the camera to MF mode or S-AF+MF. This works only with native lenses with electronic contacts.

An alternative is to assign the peaking/magnify to function buttons. The E-M10 by default has a button assigned to the "multi-function" function (Fn2 I think). Keep this button pressed and use the front wheel to choose the sub-function you want to use: one of these is Magnify. After the selection step just use the button to toggle it on/off. Use the front wheel to choose the magnification.

You may also want to change the "LV closeup mode" in menu D depending on how you intend to use it (I use mode1).

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I think you are referring to focusing distance NOT focal length here. With zoom lenses you have a control that adjusts focal length but there's no lens with an infinite focal length, and anything over 600mm is very unusual. Meanwhile nearly all lenses can focus to infinity. :)

My Panasonic cameras have a sort of focusing distance scale in the EVF for native lenses. IMO its rather vague, and since it has no numbers just a proportion of the way from minimum focus to infinity. Adapted lenses are usually better having actual distances on the focusing ring.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    The Olympus Pro lenses, and some of the premium lenses, have focusing scales on the lens barrels. The ones I've used have all had the focus clutch mechanism, so when you pull the focus ring back, you go into manual focus mode. When you push it back, it goes back to autofocus mode. The scale is revealed when the ring is pulled back, and it has distance markings including infinity. The only lens I've owned that wasn't a Pro lens but still had this was the 12mm f/2 prime.

13. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Wasn't it discovered that one of our lenses with this scale is actually wrong? I just don't remember which lens it was.

14. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, It's very wrong on the 17/1.8, but that's a hyperfocal scale, not a distance scale.

My two Pro zooms have no focusing scale afaik.

15. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 15, 2016
    You are refferring to focus peaking, it'll show your current focus with colored edge on subjects. Easiest way is to assign it to separate fn button, or as Klorenzo said - multi function.
    If you assign it to separate button it will work with any type of lens even nonbrand manual lenses.

16. mjgraaf

mjgraaf Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2014
    Netherlands
    Menno
    It is one of the reasons why I still hold to the 12-40/2,8. I typically prefer using fixed focal length lenses, but I want a lens that I can easily set to infinity when I want. But the scale is not visible in the EVF, you have to look on the lens...