1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Focus Stacking with E-M1ii

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by thenextpage, May 18, 2019.

1. thenextpage

thenextpage Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 13, 2014
    does anyone have reference to which lenses work with the focus stacking feature on this camera? Thank you

• Sad Sad x 1
  2. Just started diving into this the other day... apparently all of the Oly Pro lens work.
    So far I’ve tried the 17/1.2 and am going to give the 60/2.8 macro a go before putting the other Pro glass on.

3. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 31, 2013
  4. thenextpage

Oct 13, 2014
    Strange... I tried to enable focus stacking with the 17 1.2 today, and that option was grayed out in the menu. However I was able to do it with the 12-40 pro. Maybe the 17 needs a fw update?

5. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 31, 2013
    Try updating it to the latest firmware and see if it works?

6. StephenB

StephenB Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    I've just tried focus stacking with the EM5/2 with a 12-40 pro, it's not grayed out, but neither does it stack. Any ideas? I haven't checked the firmware for updates for a while.

edit: the number of shots is grayed out, but the rest is live....

7. I thought focus stacking in camera was limited to 8 shots so if you’ve set to beyond 8 shots you will have to do the stacking in post.

Also, I haven’t done any updates to my 17/1.2 and everything went smoothly, albeit I took 15 shots so wasn’t looking for in camera stacking.

If your camera is set to manual focus with the lens clutch pulled back you will also see that the focus stacking option is greyed out.

8. StephenB

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve

Sorry to but in to this thread; I made a mistake, the 12-40 does in camera focus stack the eight images with the EM5/2. It didn't work first time, I checked it out with the 60mm 2.8 macro, all good, then when I put the 12-40 in it worked with the 8 image in camera stacking across the range - very useful.

• Like Like x 1
  9. thenextpage

Oct 13, 2014
    So far as I understand; the 17mm 1.2 pro on the em1ii is capable of focus bracketing, but not focus stacking.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Shortsonfire79

Shortsonfire79 New to Mu-43

May 16, 2019
    Pardon my ignorance but what is the difference between bracketing/stacking? I was messing with the 60mm macro/EM5.2 and the setting is referenced as bracket in the body. It outputs both 8 individual images as well as a combined one.

11. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    They both come under bracketing.

Focus bracketing takes up to 999 photos. It is up to you to put the photos on a computer and use the computer to do the stacking.

Focus stacking takes 8 photos using focus bracketing and does the stacking immediately in the camera. No computer stacking program needed, immediate result.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. StephenB

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    It's explained in full detail here

• Like Like x 2
  13. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Focus Stacking is an in-camera process where you are limited by the number of frames, but can still control the differential. Only the Pro and macro lenses are compatible. You must focus somewhat in the middle of the subject, and it will focus bracket both in front and behind. The result is merged in camera as a JPEG. I think it is best for landscapes, but I don’t like how all the frames are automatically kept and I have to find the right image. I prefer focus bracketing.

Focus bracketing is available with any lens, and you can take up to 999 frames (in case you want to macro an aircraft carrier), as well as control the differential. You must focus at the closest point, and it will focus bracket out from there. You must merge then in post. I generally would recommend this option for most situations.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. StephenB

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    I didn't know that. I prefer to use my EM10/2 for macro with the 2.8 60mm - it's so light that you can hang about for ages chasing an insect down. Fitting it to a Mafrotto Pixi makes for an incredibly light, budget priced and very capable bit of kit for ground level shots.

15. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    That would be a good, agile combo, I’m sure.

16. Shortsonfire79

May 16, 2019
    Ah great, that explains it very well, thanks. I never knew how many photos the in body stacking does, just that it stopped after a seemingly arbitrary amount of frames and that it gave me both individual shots and the stacked image. Thanks.

17. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    One more detail for you. When stacking, focus at the key point, because it takes one photo at the focus position, then two closer, then five further away, making eight in all.
    (Unlike bracketing, where you must focus at the closest point, at it starts there and goes further away.)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. Shortsonfire79

May 16, 2019
    OOooohohh. This I was really confused about. I couldn't tell any rhyme or reason to the stacking. It looked like it was focusing closer to me for all 8 shots so I was trying to focus on the far end of the subject. I'm just going to use the focus bracketing from here on in anyways. When handheld+IBIS+bracing on a steady subject I still noticed that the in-body stack was kind of soft/had ghosting issues. I'd rather just do it manually in post.

Thanks for the extra tidbit of info!

19. 4Paul

4Paul Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Switzerland
    Paul Keller
    Here a small experiment to demonstrate the effect.
    An eyepiece micrometer with 1mm divisions is positioned at 45degrees under the Oly 60mm/2.8 macro lens, the left hand side nearest. Lens set to 1:1 and '0' of the graticule brought into best focus with the aid of a separate micropositioning Z-drive. The aperture was 5.6 and the bracketing step '6'. As can be seen, after the first exposure, the focus shifts to -0,8 and then to -0,4 and then in roughly equal steps to 3,2 with the 8th exposure. The last image here then shows the combined result: Reading -0,7 to +1,6mm = in effect of course not 2,3mm, but nearer 1,6mm due to the angled scale. This result is not really satisfactory, since 3 images of the group with good sharpness between 1,9 and 3,2 do not seem to be considered in the calculation. Inexplicable, and to be taken up with the Olympus customer services. (and please forgive the air bubble I managed to introduce when cementing the micrometer onto its support - Murphy was with me)
    P5250433.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    P5250434.jpg
    P5250435.jpg
    P5250436.jpg
    P5250437.jpg
    P5250438.jpg
    P5250439.jpg
    P5250440.jpg
    P5250441.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    The first stage in the calculation is alignment. The step of 6 was too large to provide enougth overlap for alignment to succeed. Easy for the human eye I know, as we know what is going on. Try it again with a smaller step, perhaps 3, and it will work. I have found it works well with a normal subject such as a rose or a vase or jewelry and uses all eight photos, usually with a step of 5 or smaller. You need to experiment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.