Focus stacking or other macro techniques

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by danska, Feb 21, 2013.

1. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Hey all,

I've been a huge fan of the Olympus 60mm since it came out, using it for a variety of purposes beyond just macro.

I love taking macro shots, and would like to get a proper rail sometime soon so I can quit messing around so much with it. However, the issue I'm running into is the narrow aperture/diffraction battle that occurs with :43:. I've seen/read about focus stacking before and that seems to be the solution to this issue. I want to take more Orchid flower close ups and have everything in focus without having to stop down beyond f/7.1 or so (this is when I start to really notice softening, regardless of the actual point being f/5.6 or f/6.3 or whatever the current number is). When you're working at 1:1 or even close to it not much is really in focus when dealing with a flower that has elongated parts.

I only use lightroom currently and not photoshop. Do I need to get into using photoshop or are there other programs people have used that do the trick? Advice in this area would be greatly appreciated.

2. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    • Like Like x 1
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The next native lens on my list is the 60mm. I have never really done macro but have always been interested. The closest I have gotten has been close-up sets{get it "closest" :tongue: }

Good luck and hope to see some of your work once you get it figured out.

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Thanks the OP for asking this. I always wanted to know more about focus stacking options, too!

And thanks, Les, for always being so resourceful! :thumbup:

Now, I have something to add to my "Wish List"... :eek:

• Like Like x 1