1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Focus stacking or other macro techniques

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by danska, Feb 21, 2013.

1. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Hey all,

I've been a huge fan of the Olympus 60mm since it came out, using it for a variety of purposes beyond just macro.

I love taking macro shots, and would like to get a proper rail sometime soon so I can quit messing around so much with it. However, the issue I'm running into is the narrow aperture/diffraction battle that occurs with :43:. I've seen/read about focus stacking before and that seems to be the solution to this issue. I want to take more Orchid flower close ups and have everything in focus without having to stop down beyond f/7.1 or so (this is when I start to really notice softening, regardless of the actual point being f/5.6 or f/6.3 or whatever the current number is). When you're working at 1:1 or even close to it not much is really in focus when dealing with a flower that has elongated parts.

I only use lightroom currently and not photoshop. Do I need to get into using photoshop or are there other programs people have used that do the trick? Advice in this area would be greatly appreciated.

2. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    S.Yorkshire, UK
    Les
    • Like Like x 1
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The next native lens on my list is the 60mm. I have never really done macro but have always been interested. The closest I have gotten has been close-up sets{get it "closest" :tongue: }

Good luck and hope to see some of your work once you get it figured out.

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Thanks the OP for asking this. I always wanted to know more about focus stacking options, too!

And thanks, Les, for always being so resourceful! :thumbup:

Now, I have something to add to my "Wish List"... :eek: 

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.