Focus Stacking Not Working

Susan G.

Mu-43 Regular
I have been successful with focus stacking in the past, but it is not working now. I have the Olympus E-M1 Mark II and am using 12-40 mm lens. Instead of a series of RAW shots and one JPEG I am getting only a RAW+JPEG for each shot and they don't seem to be stacked. My camera is set to S-AF and LN + RAW. Hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong!

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
When reviewing the pics the stacked jpg looks obvious because it gets slightly cropped. Also the info button will show a stacked/layered icon.
Gotta ask, why you would want a whole bunch of raw shots that don’t have any depth of field focus though? Is a stacked raw image possible?

Susan G.

Mu-43 Regular
When reviewing the pics the stacked jpg looks obvious because it gets slightly cropped. Also the info button will show a stacked/layered icon.
Gotta ask, why you would want a whole bunch of raw shots that don’t have any depth of field focus though? Is a stacked raw image possible?
The process that I have always used takes eight raw images at progressive DOF, stacks them and combines them into one sharp JPEG. what I am getting now is eight RAW images and eight JPEG images.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
And you have selected Focus stacking once you have turned on Focus bracketing in Shooting menu 2? Wonder if an update has reset this. It is working for me.

Susan G.

Mu-43 Regular
And you have selected Focus stacking once you have turned on Focus bracketing in Shooting menu 2? Wonder if an update has reset this. It is working for me.
It worked before I updated the camera software recently. Thinking it has something to do with the new software version.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
I am on V3.1 I assume you are using the same lens as before, as Focus stacking does not work with all lenses. When you go to Focus bracket in the menu and turn it on, and go to the right, is Focus stacking enabled?

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
The last jepg is actually a stackt one.

1-8 are normally jpeg's and raw the 9 is a stackt jpeg. I am using em5 ii and 12-40

Susan G.

Mu-43 Regular
I am on V3.1 I assume you are using the same lens as before, as Focus stacking does not work with all lenses. When you go to Focus bracket in the menu and turn it on, and go to the right, is Focus stacking enabled?
I am on 3.0. There is no 3.1. I now see that the final image is slightly trimmed and understand that it is the stacked image. Thanks for your help!

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
Look, it’s easy to find, press review.
Press info.
Look for the stack icon. Looks like a layer icon.
The last image on your card, which is the first image to show in review, will have the icon. This is the stacked image.

Is there any reason to shoot a focus stacked image in RAW?
Anybody?

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
Thanks man, but I’m to old to know what a algorithm is, but hopefully, I won’t have to have one..

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Thanks man, but I’m to old to know what a algorithm is, but hopefully, I won’t have to have one..
algorithm
/ˈalɡərɪð(ə)m/

noun
a process or set of rules to be followed in calculations or other problem-solving operations, especially by a computer.
I just mean the same method. The Olympus software should process the stack using the same method and give similar results, unlike if you use other software.

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
When I use stacking, I shoot Raw cos I can adjust on my computer when the jpeg outcome of my camera is not that good,and stack them afterwards using Helicon Focus 6.

But if it is a delicate subject I will use focus bracketing so I can use more than 8 photos.

Is there any reason to shoot a focus stacked image in RAW?
Anybody?
I shoot RAW when focus stacking because I would never remember to reset the camera to RAW when I go on to another mode.

I tried to shoot a focus stack with my 12-100 yesterday and I had the focus bracketing greyed out. I tried it later in the day and it was no longer greyed out.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom