Focus Square Jumps Around

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave Jenkins, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

As a user of OM-1 and OM-2 film cameras during some of the best years of my career, the OM-D was love at first sight for me.

Now, not so much.

When I first got the camera, I set it up according to tips given on this forum and the DPReview user's guide. I felt that I had a handle on things and could mostly just pick up the camera and shoot with it (if I had remembered to check/change the battery).

I am a focus-with-the-center-square-and-recompose guy. That was working just fine for me until last week. At a friend's wedding I made a photo of the couple dancing (Panasonic 20mm lens). So far, so good. But when I tried to focus for the next shot, the focus square started dancing too -- dancing around to every point of light in the scene.

I have gone through the menus and tried to reset everything that might possibly be involved in locking the focus square to the center of the screen, but nothing works. It is still attracted to the brightest object in the scene and puts the focus square there.

The only thing I did differently before this occurred was to install the firmware update to version 1.5. Could that have caused this problem?

I bought the OM-D because I wanted a small but good camera for travel, but right now I'm ready to go back to my Canon system, even though the weight kills my very bad back. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone may be able to give me.

2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    In your other thread about this issue, you said you cant change your focus to AF-S. Is that still the issue?

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Press the left button on the 4-way controller, then press INFO, and you can then cycle between the different focus types. Single point, multi-point, all points...

• Like Like x 1
  4. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I have it under all points and it does jump around, but not every time. I also believe this is going on since the last firmware update.

5. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    As a fellow focus-with-the-center-square-and-recompose guy, I fixed my problem by turning the arrow keys off. I found that I was always bumping them and the focus would end up somewhere I didn't expect.

6. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Sam, I can set the focus mode to S-AF, C-AF, etc. The focus still jumps around.

Ned, nothing at all happens when I press the left button -- or any of the other controller buttons, for that matter.

The camera also hunts for focus like crazy, which it never did before.

7. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    leave it on af-s

Press OK then go to the Focus Area settings and change it to a single point

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The button or Super Control Panel option that looks like [...] is the one you want. Press INFO after you access it.