Focus speed on Olympus EP-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by photographworks, Aug 26, 2010.

1. photographworks

photographworks Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 27, 2009
    My local camera shop is doing the EP-1 with 17mm lens and optical viewfinder for £399, so I am tempted.

My worry is the review on DPReview that talks about poor focus speed.

DP Review says the focus speed on the EP-2 is better than on the EP-1 but then it says there was a firmware update and I can't make out whether that applied to the EP-1 and whether than improved focus speed on the EP-1

Does anyone have any information on this?

2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Olympus has released firmware for all three PENs which improves AF speed. I believe the improvement on the E-P1 is not as great as the E-P2 or E-PL1, and overall the improvement is ok but still nowhere near Panasonic speeds.

The main limitation now seems to be Olympus' kit lens design (unsure about the 17mm's performance). Firmware updated PENs when used with Panny lenses are supposedly much more speed competitive, and Olympus' newer lenses (the 9-18 and 14-150) are much better AF performers than the kit zoom is.

3. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Since your local camera store has the E-P1, the best thing you can do is try it out. I own an E-P1 and have never been bothered by the AF speed

Regards,

Antonio

4. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    Hi -

Ditto here. The 17 focuses very, very quickly as well. Not quite an E30+12-60, but nonetheless very nice nonetheless...

JohnF

5. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Focus speed (with latest firmware) is only really limited by lens type. The bodies are very similar in capability; the Olympus mZD 14-42 is slow compared with the Lumix 14-45 which confuses some feeble minded reviewers :rofl: but the 17mm pancake is actually a little faster to focus than the 20mm f1.7.

You can't go wrong at that price, grab one quick :2thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

6. brachiopod

brachiopod New to Mu-43

Aug 26, 2010
    I have both of the E-P1 and E-P2, and the focus speeds with the same lens are absolutely identical. I can put both of them here with the kit lens, and press both at the same time, and the focus speeds are the same.

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I have an ep-1 and epl-1. Focus speed since the firmware upgrade is identical as far as I can tell. And about the same as the gf-1 I compared it against. It used to be very average, now it's very usable. Before the firmware upgrade I was going to sell my camera. Since the upgrade I've added a second one.

Gordon

8. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 13, 2010
    E-P1 and E-PL1 here, as others have said, after the firmware update the AF speed is fine though still not quite as fast as Panasonic.

It is good to do research, but try not to waste too much time especially on overly technical sites like DPReview :) The best thing you can do is try it at your local shop, appreciate it for what it is, and then learn to love photography.

Regarding your bargain though, I got my E-P1 as a refurbished model from Olympus USA, and including shipping to Australia it cost slightly less than £399. Try to bargain it down to £350 :thumbup:

9. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I bought the same kit a few weeks ago and am greatly enjoying it. After updating the firmware, the AF speed is fine. Not the fastest, but perfectly adequate.

10. Freedomwalker

Freedomwalker New to Mu-43

Jun 13, 2010
    This deal is still available and I am surprised these aren't being snapped up, perhaps people regard the EP-1 as 'old' model compared to the EP-2 and EPL-1?

11. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Well, when you compare it to the Dixons Group (Currys, PC World) deal of £329.99 for the E-P1 with kit zoom, it doesn't look quite as tasty. It was Dixons' price that made me even consider buying a camera, let alone any specific camera.

12. dulaney22

dulaney22 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    I'm chasing kids around and haven't found any issues with focus speed. My only issue is that the AF isn't accurate in iAuto mode, so I use the center setting in A or S mode. Of course, I've been using the 20mm lens, but it's quick even with indoor lighting.

13. Mrklaw

Mrklaw New to Mu-43

Sep 27, 2010
    Windsor, UK
    Do you mind saying where?