1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Focus Rectangle Moves

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave Jenkins, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

The green focus rectangle on my OM-D keeps moving around when I don't want it to. Is there any way to lock it in place?

2. c_henry

c_henry Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    Do you have face detection turned on? I noticed the same thing happening and I think its that.

3. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

If it's not face detection, then maybe you want to switch to single area focus. This is a choice under the 'gears' menu: AF/MF -> AF AREA, then choose the single dot in the middle, rather than the 11 dot option. You can put the single area anywhere, but I find the center is more convenient.

The only problem with this is that if you are shooting very quickly, the single area may not be covering a high contrast zone, and AF may not be reliable. If you can take your time, and choose a high contrast zone, you can then half-press the shutter and recompose.

This is how my E-PL2 works. I imagine the OM-D is similar.

4. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    The green focus box on my Oly is set @ dead-center, but I noticed it keeps moving once face-detect is on. I suspect yours is on too.

5. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    AFAIK the green focus rectangle and the Face Recognition work differently.
    The rectangle on Face Recognition will change color when detecting face from white to green and will try detecting and tracking face for a moment, no matter how you set the AF rectangle (single, restricted, all). Unless you turn off the face recognition/detection feature.

6. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Or it's your too big thumb that's moving it unintentionaly. At least mine is. Those 4 arrow buttons are active all the time causing this.

7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Accidentally touching those 4 directional buttons or the touchscreen, with the touchscreen set to "Touch Focus" could cause the green focus box to move around unintentionally. Other than that, I can't think of why the green box move by itself.

You can fix the touchscreen issue by switching it off.

8. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    But I don't know how to fix my thumb off ;-)

9. waffley

waffley Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2012
    That made me smile!!
    I am a new forum member but I am having similar problems. I am finding the manual very hard to follow. Whenever I look something up, I am directed to another page, then another, and then back to where I started!! Maybe it's my age??? :wink:

10. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Age? Uh-uh.
    There is so much that can be configured, plus the interrelations, that it may be impossible to get it clearer.

IMO, if you want to see confusing, try Panasonic's sad GF1 manual. I gave up and bought an independent book to try to sort things out.

11. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    :rofl: That's why I didn't mention anything about thumb off, since I couldn't figure that one out either...

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I've turned off the four arrows ... that way when the arrows slam against my manly stomach ... nothing happens.

13. waffley

waffley Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2012
    Stupid question, but how do you turn them off please??

14. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Go to Custom Menu > B. Button/Dial > Button Function > choose the arrow button function (button arrow icon function)in line six change from previous mode to off.

15. marklikesit

marklikesit Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    It's not your age. I'm having the same issue with that blasted manual.