focus points on E-M5 (question)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by idp69, Apr 24, 2012.

1. idp69

idp69 New to Mu-43

Apr 17, 2012
    brisbane, australia
    hi guys. to those who have their e-m5s already, just want to know if you can select any focus point from the VF? if so, how?

i am used to a nikon dlsr handling. thanks in advance.:smile:

2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    You can assign an Fn button to switch between two types of focusing. For me, it's between single point AF and multi point AF.

Or, you can assign the Fn to bring up the AF selection menu through th VF. Then you have to use the arrow keys to switch between.

It isn't as slick as the D7000 switching, but it works ok for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    I have mine set so you can just move the AF point with the direction buttons. I don't have to select a Fn first. Doesn't seem any easier or difficult than my Nikon bodies to me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    This is the same setting in my E-M5. Through the EVF, you can easily move the AF point with the direction buttons. You can also select the multi AF points just with continuosly pressing one directional button.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    How well does that multi AF work? Is it pretty smart in guessing where to AF?

What would be a really cool implementation for a m4/3 camera is allowing for a more advanced system of choosing AF zones to emphasize, such as in the D7000 or 7D. And then, combine the super fast CDAF we are seeing nowadays in m4/3 with the hybrid system of the Nikon 1.

6. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    Actually I'm not using the multi AF points. I use mainly single AF point and adjust when necessary. But I will try and check if this multi AF points is smart enough to pick the focus that I have on my mind.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Thanks Russell! I'm a single point user too. But have often wished multi point was actually a little bit better.

8. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Some AF point tips

Another thing to note is that the up and left arrow keys are not configurable at all (same as on the E-P3 or any PEN with a REC button? my second camera is an E-P2 which has different controls so not sure).

The up arrow brings up exposure compensation and shutter/aperture adjustment, the left arrow key always brings up the AF point selection. Once you press left you can use arrow keys, or turn both dials to select the AF point. Also you can change the size of the multipoint area (once in AF point selection mode press info and use the dial - you can choose either whole 6 by 5 or whatever the grid size is, or a smaller multipoint area, 3 by 3 squares which you can move about). From the same screen you can also change the face recognition mode with the other dial.

As mentioned here, you can also define an AF home position (any single point or multipoint), ans assign a key to it (on mine the REC button reverts to central point).

However, there is another method. Once in magnify mode, the magnification target also is the AF target, and you can change the size of the magnification frame using the dial, and apparently with this method you can get a very small AF target if you need precision (need to confirm this). You move the magnify frame with arrow keys. What's also interesting is that the controls behave a bit different when moving the magnification frame. When you keep the arrow key pressed, the frame moves faster and if you do it click by click it moves by smaller steps. It's worth noting that the magnify target and AF target positions are independent but (don't have the camera to hand atm) I think the magnify target is reset every time you exit magnify.

I've always been focusing and recomposing but I'm trying to switch to point selection (at least for shallow dof and small distances where focal plane shift matters), we'll see how that works out for me. Multipoint scares me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Great info Owczi!