Focus Point in OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by digitalandfilm, Feb 20, 2013.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Didn't notice anything in users manual..

How the heck can you LOCK the focus point in place (ie, center) so when your big, fat right thumb hits the right direction arrow it doesn't go all over the place??
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I've turned off the those four little guys. A lot less frustrating.

3. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Well, I set my camera up to use the right and down arrows to set iso and to set frame rate. You need to set the arrow key function to direct function, it's in the button/dial *B menu, and then in the button function submenu. Then you can set the right and down arrows to whatever function to whatever suits your needs. The left arrow still takes you to the screen to determine focus point location.
  4. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I had it all together once, until I grabbed hold of the camera in bag in a manner that spun wheels and clicked buttons. Now I don't know what is going on with my settings. Especially focus. Sets of boxes light up and they choose where they want to do it; they are not following my brain commands.
  5. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Put everything where you like it, check and double-check, then save as a "Myset". That way, when things are screwy, you can use the "Myset" function to restore your basic settings, no matter what you may have done.

6. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 28, 2010
    The beautiful northwest Georgia mountains
    Dave Jenkins
    • Like Like x 1
  7. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    When you use the pad to select a focus point, and you go all the way to the edge, all the boxes light up. When you see this, you have empowered the camera to make decisions for you like you were in iAuto. Keep clicking to select a single box again.

Also, if face detection is turned on that can cause the camera to override you. Use the SCP (super control panel) to control face recognition -- it's the fastest way.

I like the way you phrased that -- wouldn't it be REALLY cool if the camera could follow our thoughts, lol?
  8. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Thank you. I'll try your ideas.