Focus Peaking with the Olympus OM-D E-M5

AJACs

New to Mu-43
Real Name
AJ
Must it only be in "MF" shooting mode?
Howdy. New here as well. Yes, I believe you must be in MF mode. If you are not, when you release Fn1 and push down on the shutter button you are engaging the autofocus and throwing away your MF effort.

I have redefined the Red Dot video button to be used to turn manual focus on and off. I have had Fn2 defined as the Magnify options to assist with manual focus, but with this hint, I will redefine it to be AEL/AFL to give me push button focusing to start and then fine tune with Fn1. I will also set my autofocus area to be in the center of the field.

MajorMagee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I tried this with the E-P5, and it still works, but in comparison the built in Focus Peaking is far less of a blunt instrument.

Happythomaslee

New to Mu-43
Hi, thank you so much for the video, it give me a great help with my new 17.5mm F0.95 voigtlander.
Excellent work.

ados

New to Mu-43
Great tweak, works great on my e-pm2 with canon fdn 50/1.4 and 28/2.8 lenses, especially in bright daylight. I use it together with 2x tele convertor function. I find it more comfortable to use with FN1 button rather then record button as FN1 has more precise click/accutation. I had FN1 for iso and record b. for magnification previously, moved ISO to record button now. I can only compare this 'peaking' to my G6's and it compares quite well in deed with very contrasty distinction of in/out focus objects.

kiwijinxter

Mu-43 Rookie
Some readers at 43 Rumors figured out a simple way to use one of the art filters for on-demand "focus peaking" with the Olympus OM-D E-M5. Unfortunately it doesn't work for video, but it works a treat for still photography.

Here are the steps:

1) Change the mode dial on the E-M5 to "A"

2) Menu > Shooting Menu 1: set the "Picture Mode" to "ART 11 Key Line" (press right and choose Filter II). You may need to repeat this step twice to get the art filter setting to stick.

3) Optional step if you want magnified view during focus peaking: Menu > Shooting Menu 1 > Set "Digital Tele-converter" to "On"

4) Menu > Shooting Menu 1: select "Reset/Myset", then select "Myset1" and choose "Set"

5) Menu > Custom Menu B: select "Button Function", then select "Fn1 Function" and choose "My1"

6) Menu > Shooting Menu 1: set the "Picture Mode" to "Natural" (or whatever you started out with)

7) Menu > Shooting Menu 1 > Set "Digital Tele-converter" back to "Off" if you set it to "On" in Step 3 above

At this point, you'll have the "Key Line" art filter, which acts like a form of focus peaking, assigned to the Fn1 button. You can hold down the button while focusing for a kind of "on demand" focus peaking and then release the button before you shoot so that the art filter doesn't affect the captured image itself.

Quick video showing the steps to configure:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Credit to 43 Rumors and their readers Nicolas, Lucio, and Wickster for finding and explaining this technique.

OK so I just like, discovered this NOW.... this changes everything for me when it comes to the Voigtlander 17.5mm lens I have... makes manual focusing much much better! Thanks a lot for this, this is invaluable!!!!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom