1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Focus Peaking with the Olympus OM-D E-M5

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Oct 25, 2012.

1. AJACs

AJACs New to Mu-43

Jul 2, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    AJ
    Howdy. New here as well. Yes, I believe you must be in MF mode. If you are not, when you release Fn1 and push down on the shutter button you are engaging the autofocus and throwing away your MF effort.

I have redefined the Red Dot video button to be used to turn manual focus on and off. I have had Fn2 defined as the Magnify options to assist with manual focus, but with this hint, I will redefine it to be AEL/AFL to give me push button focusing to start and then fine tune with Fn1. I will also set my autofocus area to be in the center of the field.

2. zensu

zensu Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    Thanks Amin!

This really enhances all of my lenses with the OM-D! :2thumbs:

3. Blotzphoto

Blotzphoto Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Cincinnati
    Lou Doench
    OMG my kid has the exact same teddy bear!!!!

4. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I tried this with the E-P5, and it still works, but in comparison the built in Focus Peaking is far less of a blunt instrument.

5. Happythomaslee

Happythomaslee New to Mu-43

Jan 7, 2014
    Hi, thank you so much for the video, it give me a great help with my new 17.5mm F0.95 voigtlander.
    Excellent work.

6. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
    Cool trick. Should be handy with my MF lenses :wink:

7. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Prairies
    jef
    Nice one!

8. ados

ados New to Mu-43

Jul 10, 2014
    Great tweak, works great on my e-pm2 with canon fdn 50/1.4 and 28/2.8 lenses, especially in bright daylight. I use it together with 2x tele convertor function. I find it more comfortable to use with FN1 button rather then record button as FN1 has more precise click/accutation. I had FN1 for iso and record b. for magnification previously, moved ISO to record button now. I can only compare this 'peaking' to my G6's and it compares quite well in deed with very contrasty distinction of in/out focus objects.

9. kiwijinxter

kiwijinxter Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 24, 2017

OK so I just like, discovered this NOW.... this changes everything for me when it comes to the Voigtlander 17.5mm lens I have... makes manual focusing much much better! Thanks a lot for this, this is invaluable!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.