Focus Peaking with the Olympus OM-D E-M5

billhuegerich

Mu-43 Rookie
Focus Peaking

Thank you very much for sharing this! I've tried it on my Kiron 28 f2.0 and Rokkor 50 f/1.7 w/Olympus C-210 1.9x teleconverter, and peaking worked great with both!

marklikesit

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark Soon
Does anyone have a workaround for using the OM-D in manual mode?

Seems to only work in Aperture priority mode. Would be nice to have it working in M as well...

**Edit my bad. Pressed the wrong button - got too excited ** Thanks for sharing this Amin.

merosen

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark
I have Myset 4 set as my default config
when i switch to from Myset 4 to 1, the key line is the default picture mode
I have to change it to 3 natural and my file type goes back to raw
any one else seen this or know if there is a fix
It's not really a problem. If i don't change it i see key line in the finder without having to press Fn1, which reminds to change to Natural 3 and raw

OldRadioGuy

Enthusiast Amateur
Real Name
Bob
Personally, I see no reason to ever turn off MF in the first place. I never did see a purpose to blocking one of the most critical functions of the camera, and have never owned a camera, film or digital, which was set up to not allow Manual Focus at any time I choose to turn that focus ring.
Just wait until you have to wear trifocals! :smile:

Bob

MajorMagee

Mu-43 All-Pro
So, is this now the universally accepted solution to the long standing demand for a firmware update from Olympus to allow Focus Peaking, or is this still just too much of a kludge?

mister_roboto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dennis
So, is this now the universally accepted solution to the long standing demand for a firmware update from Olympus to allow Focus Peaking, or is this still just too much of a kludge?
Supposedly according to rumor Olympus is going to implement it in the next firmware update.

As far as cameras and firmware updates with new features go- Olympus is really great about updates and features compared to other manufacturers. Also the minimizing the IS hum was amazing :wink:

Andi

New to Mu-43
Apologize for my ignorance and dumb question. How many fn button are there in OMD? In my E-PL5, it has only one fn button, and I already assigned it for ISO setting. I cannot assign my1 to any other button except to fn button, so I have to move the ISO access to other button (in my case, I change it to flash button) to enable to use fn button for my1 setting.

Also, if E-PL5 has my1, my2, my3 etc, then how to access it quickly if you only have one fn button to be assigned?

merosen

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark
Fn buttons or programable buttons
including the 2 Fn buttons, there are 3 programable buttons and 2 programable arrows
So there are 5 different customizable options

tradesmith45

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hope someone can help w/ a refinement of this to work as DOF preview. I can't find a way to be able to push both Fn1 for the peak & Fn2 for preview.

Yup got Fn2 assigned to preview in both the peak setup & to myset for shooting. When in the myset for the peak, Fn2 will show preview just fine. But in shooting setup, can't make pushing both buttons at once to work.

Suggestions?

joanlvh

New to Mu-43
two things

in following instructions for focus peaking, I have added the art filter and now cannot get rid of it. How do I?

the instructions part 4 cannot be found for me when using a E PM2, are there different instructions for different cameras ?

thank you joanlvh

guava1950

Mu-43 Veteran
Which EM-5 firmware version does this work on? I'm using firmware 1.6.
I cannot perform step 4. The Reset/Myset option is missing from shooting menu 1 when the art filter is selected as the picture mode.

Paul

joanlvh

New to Mu-43
I am using an E PM 2, will instructions be different? I have assigned the first Fn button to magnify so would I just choose another button? Thank u

RobWatson

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Now that I finally got an E-M5 I get to play ... gotta say I find the art filter distracting. The IBIS makes 14x manual focusing plenty easy without the need to fiddle with Fn2 setup thingy. I find this to be true for 24-300 mm focal lengths. Maybe I'm just used to working hard in MF with a lowly E-P1.

Lawrence A.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Larry
I guess I'm just not the focus peaking type. I set it up, tried it alternately with my normal way of focusing manual lenses with magnification (programmed to the red record button), and the magnification shot was sharper every time. I'll try it again, and give it a fair shot, but all the art filter weirdness detaches me from what I'm shooting. But I'll definitely try it with the Zuiko 200mm f4 on a 2X converter. So we'll see. Thank, Amin, for the information though, which is good to know. The response seems to be that many folks love it.

pengful

New to Mu-43
Hi all, I'm a newbie and I followed both the video and detailed writeup to set up focus peaking on my OM-D. However, I do have several silly questions as they may have been addressed and I may have missed them:
1) Someone mentioned that IBIS cannot be initialized with the hack. However, I checked and tested both "ON" & "OFF" on "Half Way Rls with IS" and I can see the black lines when I pressed "Fn1". Why is this so and which is the correct setting?
2) When I set the shooting mode to "S-AF+MF", I can still use the ring to move the black lines but when I pressed the shutter release, I can see that auto-focus takes over the focussing. Must it only be in "MF" shooting mode?
3) I selected "S" & "P" aside from "A" using "MF" and I can use focus peaking on these 2 other modes. I remember someone said that this only works in "A" mode. Is that correct?

I am running on firmware ver 1.6 for the body and firmware ver 1.2 for Panasonic 14-45mm lens. Thank you.

AJACs

New to Mu-43
Real Name
AJ
Thanks

I am new to a lot of this. I was frustrated by the manual focus of the E-M5. I wanted to say thank you for this. It's going to make a big difference in my capability to capture the shot I want.