Focus Peaking with the Olympus OM-D E-M5

Haans

Mu-43 Regular
Thank you for putting this up Amin!
Took me a couple of tries to get it right, but have it working. Been comparing it to 14X manual focus with my trusty 50mm Summilux, and so far, don't know if it is any better at nailing focus, but it may be a learning curve focusing with key line...anyone have any tricks for that? Frankly to me it's like trying to drive a car in key line...look out!

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
Does anyone besides me read Fn1 as "effin 1" instead of function one? I swear there is a 10 year old boy trapped inside my brain.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Thank you for putting this up Amin!
Took me a couple of tries to get it right, but have it working. Been comparing it to 14X manual focus with my trusty 50mm Summilux, and so far, don't know if it is any better at nailing focus, but it may be a learning curve focusing with key line...anyone have any tricks for that? Frankly to me it's like trying to drive a car in key line...look out!
I don't think it's as good at nailing focus as 14x magnification, but it's faster and you don't have to give up the compositional view. I'm getting faster at it with practice. It's not easy to see exactly where the line is boldest, but you get a sense for when you've lost it on either side as you rock back and forth, then go for the spot in the middle between where you've lost it. Hope that makes sense.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
I'm grateful for this workaround, but I do wish it could be assigned to the Fn2 button. Fn1 is awkward to reach.
Fn1 is the perfect location for me and my thumb, but they should give the same options for both buttons. With all the options Oly gives us for configuration, this seems like a silly oversight.

Does anyone besides me read Fn1 as "effin 1" instead of function one? I swear there is a 10 year old boy trapped inside my brain.
I didn't, but I will now :smile:.

Haans

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks Amin, that's what I thought.
I have the focus mag on Fn2, so it's very quick to get. I always use it for the small green focus field on SAF anyway. Also have SAF-MF on the "red button", so that's pretty quick.
I kinda like Fn1 as the option for key line as it IS hard to hit. Formerly, I used it for digital magnify AND never used that...

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
I use Fn1 for focus, so I need to re-assign this to another button. I find the Fn1 button to be very painful to hit with my chubby, yet regal digits. As Fn1 is my focus, I am hoping that over time the small bones of my hand will move to accomodate the OM-D.

Gary

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
:biggrin:

Yep. When I was training folks in the wonderful (???) pursuit of learning how to use Windows laptops I generally was able to generate a (cheap) laugh from the suits in the class when discussin' the effin Fn key.

Regards,

Jim

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
Being raised in a proper household, I never made that leap from professional labeling to gutter profanity. But now that you have brought it up ... I sorta see it now and giggle like a grade school kid learning about sex every time I touch the freakin' button.

claytonluke

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Clayton Hunter
If someone didn't mind explaining, what exactly is peaking? Yes, I'm very new to m43. I appreciate any feedback. :)

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
It finds and highlights the edges of high contrast so you can tell what part of the image is in focus by looking for these exentuated contrast lines.

strang

Mu-43 Veteran
I added a step to set focus mode to manual. Sometimes I need to manually focus a focus by wire lens and I find this quicker.

HarryS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just got it programmed. In my opinion, it's better with moderate focal lengths. Works fine with my FD 85mm, but when I try it on the 70-210 series 1, it's hard to discern edges at long zoom. In that case, 14X is better.

Haans

Mu-43 Regular
I added a step to set focus mode to manual. Sometimes I need to manually focus a focus by wire lens and I find this quicker.
Strang, I'm a bit of a digital luddite. Where in the video did you insert MF and could you list the steps?

Would appreciate it!

Michael in China

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Michael
I'd like to add my thanks for this one. Thanks Amin!
As a long time manual shooter I didn't think I needed focus peaking. A bunch of out-of-focus shots taken with my manual Rokkors on the OM-D suggests otherwise. I'm finding this dodge a really effective tool.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Personally, I see no reason to ever turn off MF in the first place. I never did see a purpose to blocking one of the most critical functions of the camera, and have never owned a camera, film or digital, which was set up to not allow Manual Focus at any time I choose to turn that focus ring.

MajorMagee

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks Amin, that's a great tip! The new E-PM2 and E-PL5 also have the Key Line filter, and so we know all future models will as well (since the Pen Mini line will have the most limited art filters of the lineup). So this isn't just an OM-D trick, this could henceforth be considered a trick for all Olympus cameras.
Has anyone implemented this successfully on something other than the E-M5 yet?

macalterego

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jeffrey McPheeters
I'm grateful for this workaround, but I do wish it could be assigned to the Fn2 button. Fn1 is awkward to reach.
I'll second that. I've resisted adding the grip because I didn't think it was worth the price for what I'd gain, preferring to keep the kit as small and light as possible; however the larger grip would give my thumb some relief. Still, I'd prefer to use the toggle style Fn2 button because it' relieves the stress of having to hold down the Fn1 button while halfpressing the shutter button then releasing the Fn1 button and subsequently the shutter. Then I could move the AEL/AFL to the Fn1 button.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom