1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Focus Peaking with the Olympus OM-D E-M5

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

I'm grateful for this workaround, but I do wish it could be assigned to the Fn2 button. Fn1 is awkward to reach.

2. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Thank you for putting this up Amin!
    Took me a couple of tries to get it right, but have it working. Been comparing it to 14X manual focus with my trusty 50mm Summilux, and so far, don't know if it is any better at nailing focus, but it may be a learning curve focusing with key line...anyone have any tricks for that? Frankly to me it's like trying to drive a car in key line...look out!

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Does anyone besides me read Fn1 as "effin 1" instead of function one? I swear there is a 10 year old boy trapped inside my brain.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I don't think it's as good at nailing focus as 14x magnification, but it's faster and you don't have to give up the compositional view. I'm getting faster at it with practice. It's not easy to see exactly where the line is boldest, but you get a sense for when you've lost it on either side as you rock back and forth, then go for the spot in the middle between where you've lost it. Hope that makes sense.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Fn1 is the perfect location for me and my thumb, but they should give the same options for both buttons. With all the options Oly gives us for configuration, this seems like a silly oversight.

I didn't, but I will now :smile:.

6. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Thanks Amin, that's what I thought.
    I have the focus mag on Fn2, so it's very quick to get. I always use it for the small green focus field on SAF anyway. Also have SAF-MF on the "red button", so that's pretty quick.
    I kinda like Fn1 as the option for key line as it IS hard to hit. Formerly, I used it for digital magnify AND never used that...

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I use Fn1 for focus, so I need to re-assign this to another button. I find the Fn1 button to be very painful to hit with my chubby, yet regal digits. As Fn1 is my focus, I am hoping that over time the small bones of my hand will move to accomodate the OM-D.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    :biggrin:

Yep. When I was training folks in the wonderful (???) pursuit of learning how to use Windows laptops I generally was able to generate a (cheap) laugh from the suits in the class when discussin' the effin Fn key.

Regards,

Jim

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    You just got a cheap smile out of moi ...

G

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Being raised in a proper household, I never made that leap from professional labeling to gutter profanity. But now that you have brought it up ... I sorta see it now and giggle like a grade school kid learning about sex every time I touch the freakin' button.

• Like Like x 2
  11. claytonluke

claytonluke Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2012
    Austin
    Clayton Hunter
    If someone didn't mind explaining, what exactly is peaking? Yes, I'm very new to m43. I appreciate any feedback. :) 

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It finds and highlights the edges of high contrast so you can tell what part of the image is in focus by looking for these exentuated contrast lines.

• Like Like x 1
  13. costigaj

costigaj New to Mu-43

May 16, 2012
    This works great with my Canon FD 50MM f/1.4 on the E-M5.

• Like Like x 1
  14. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I added a step to set focus mode to manual. Sometimes I need to manually focus a focus by wire lens and I find this quicker.

15. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Just got it programmed. In my opinion, it's better with moderate focal lengths. Works fine with my FD 85mm, but when I try it on the 70-210 series 1, it's hard to discern edges at long zoom. In that case, 14X is better.

16. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Strang, I'm a bit of a digital luddite. Where in the video did you insert MF and could you list the steps?

Would appreciate it!

17. Michael in China

Michael in China Mu-43 Regular

Jul 7, 2012
    Zhuhai China
    Michael
    I'd like to add my thanks for this one. Thanks Amin!
    As a long time manual shooter I didn't think I needed focus peaking. A bunch of out-of-focus shots taken with my manual Rokkors on the OM-D suggests otherwise. I'm finding this dodge a really effective tool.

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Personally, I see no reason to ever turn off MF in the first place. I never did see a purpose to blocking one of the most critical functions of the camera, and have never owned a camera, film or digital, which was set up to not allow Manual Focus at any time I choose to turn that focus ring.

19. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Has anyone implemented this successfully on something other than the E-M5 yet?

20. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    I'll second that. I've resisted adding the grip because I didn't think it was worth the price for what I'd gain, preferring to keep the kit as small and light as possible; however the larger grip would give my thumb some relief. Still, I'd prefer to use the toggle style Fn2 button because it' relieves the stress of having to hold down the Fn1 button while halfpressing the shutter button then releasing the Fn1 button and subsequently the shutter. Then I could move the AEL/AFL to the Fn1 button.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.