Focus Peaking with the Olympus OM-D E-M5

cryptobrian

New to Mu-43
Missing #11 Art Filter - Key Line

Hey everyone,

My OM-D only goes up to #10 Art Filter. Seems like I'm missing the Key Line filter.

Is there something you guys did to enable this? WTF is wrong w/ my OM-D!! :(

chuenmasiello

Mu-43 Regular
Hey everyone,

My OM-D only goes up to #10 Art Filter. Seems like I'm missing the Key Line filter.

Is there something you guys did to enable this? WTF is wrong w/ my OM-D!! :(
Menu -> Custom Menu -> D Disp/../PC -> Picture Mode Settings -> you can turn on/off displaying any picture modes here, including Art Filters.

I think the Key Line must have been turned off here.

Help this will help. :smile:

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
...Here are the steps:

1) Change the mode dial on the E-M5 to "A"

2) Menu > Shooting Menu 1: set the "Picture Mode" to "ART 11 Key Line"

3) Optional step if you want magnified view during focus peaking: Menu > Shooting Menu 1 > Set "Digital Tele-converter" to "On"

4) Menu > Shooting Menu 1: select "Reset/Myset", then select "Myset1" and choose "Set"

5) Menu > Custom Menu B: select "Button Function", then select "Fn1 Function" and choose "My1"

6) Menu > Shooting Menu 1: set the "Picture Mode" to "Natural" (or whatever you started out with)

7) Menu > Shooting Menu 1 > Set "Digital Tele-converter" back to "Off" if you set it to "On" in Step 3 above
Amin, thanks for the detailed steps - makes me really glad I kept my Nikon "nifty fifty". However I gotta be doin' something wrong.

I had MS1 already assigned so I used your instructions above to set focus peaking on MS2.

Works really well until I switch out to my MS1; when I later return to MS2 the Fn1 button is no longer assigned to MS2, it holds the settings in MS1 so when I press the Fn1 it doesn't go to the focus peaking.

I have to: switch to MS2, reassign the Fn1 key to MS2 and then change the Picture Mode and Teleconverter settings; at that point the Fn1 key is assigned to focus peaking - until I leave MS2 again.

Should steps 4 and 5 be reversed? Where the Fn1 button is assigned to MS2 and then the MS2 is "Set"? So that MS2 "remembers" the Fn1 button assignment?

Gotta be something dumb I'm doing wrong, but if I leave the MS for focus peaking when I go back to that MS the Fn1 assignment is 'forgotten'.

Either way this is a very nice way to use legacy lenses; I gotta get up to the local bricks 'n mortar store this weekend to see what they have in the used toy box.

Regards,

Jim

robertro

Mu-43 Veteran
No more NEX!

Well, that kills my final reason for keeping a NEX body, and accelerates my purchase of an OM-D.

Why we need a workaround and Olympus just doesn't make it an easy-to-access option, I won't speculate for fear of getting annoyed.

I am very thankful to those who discovered this and thanks Amin for reporting it!

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Should steps 4 and 5 be reversed? Where the Fn1 button is assigned to MS2 and then the MS2 is "Set"? So that MS2 "remembers" the Fn1 button assignment?
Jim, after you do Step 2, make sure the camera is actually shooting in Art 11 mode. Sometimes that setting doesn't stick, especially if you change the filter type (ie from I to II). After Step 3, make sure you are still in Art 11 mode and that the teleconverter effect is showing in the LCD. Shoot a few frames like that, and it should all keep those settings. Then do Step 4, which saves those settings to MS2. After that, any time you assign Fn2 to MS2, it should restore all those settings upon use of that button.

If that doesn't work for you, then you and I must have some different setting somewhere within the labyrinth that is the Olympus menu system.

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
... After that, any time you assign Fn2 to MS2, it should restore all those settings upon use of that button.

If that doesn't work for you, then you and I must have some different setting somewhere within the labyrinth that is the Olympus menu system.
Amin,

Thanks much for the instructions. Below follows a long, convoluted description, which you (and others) may feel free to ignore:

I think my problem is with the way I've been implementing "MySet". If I'm figuring correctly MySet2 (in my case) is set to always grab the Art11 mode. Assign that to the Fn2 button. So far, so good. Then to restore the normal view after saving MySet2, one should, in the menu, move from Art11 to "Normal" or whatever is desired. Got that O.K. That leaves MySet2 in "Normal" view until the Fn2 button is pressed. Works like a charm.

If one leaves MySet2 the heck alone after it's all set and just references that setting by assigning to a button rather than choosing it from the Menu then MySet2 will only show the Art11 while the Fn2 button is held down.

But - if one chooses a different MySet and then returns to MySet2 in the menu system and selects it then the "normal" view is turned back off and the Art11 is turned on full time. And that's where I was hitting the problem - since selecting "MySet2" in the menu system by default turns Art11 on full time I had to manually change the settings back to "normal" and teleconverter to "off".

I reset MySet1 to use the Fn1 button linked to MySet2, and it works perfectly.

I can see no way to actually choose MySet2 from the menu system without having to make manual changes to Art11 and Teleconverter because choosing MySet2 automatically turns those on.

I duuno if my explanation makes any sense - but as long as I leave MySet2 alone in the menu system and just reference the Fn2 button in any of the other three MySets it seems to work. I cannot, however, actually choose MySet2 from the menu system without having Art11 and Teleconverter on full time (unless I manually change them after choosing MySet2).

In essence, as I see it, this tweak removes one MySet from availability as a choice (because if you choose it the settings force Art11 and Teleconverter 'on' to be the default mode).

On the upside it makes 'focus peaking' available in any (or all) of the other three MySets as a function of Fn1.

And probably saved me a thousand dollars; if I can reliably use legacy lenses with the aperture ring on the lens (where it was intended to be!!!) then I don't need to order the Fuji X-100 while it's on sale :thumbup:.

Many thanks for the help, and I've spent the entire afternoon taking utterly useless (but totally in focus!) photos with my Nikon nifty-fifty.

Best regards,

Jim

spinyman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just set this up on my OMD and it's very slick.Some manual lenses are fairly easy to nail focus, even without magnification, some more difficult.This method nails focus when you have the time and want it dead right.Many thanks and praises to you,Amin, for exposing this slick trick.Will Olympus tout this now in marketing?

Question to you,Fmrvette,How does this influence your decision not to buy the x100?

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
Question to you,Fmrvette,How does this influence your decision not to buy the x100?
Well...it kinda scratches my ongoing itch to have the aperture control on the lens body (I started with SLRs 45 years ago and habits die hard).

I'm still tempted by the 'rangefinder' look of the Fuji (did I mention it's on sale? :biggrin:).

The other draw for me on the Fuji is the slower working style - I'm coming in from a Nikon D300 with a grip that could hold excellent continuous focus at 8 fps and I want to gear down the speed a bit. The Fuji lends itself to a slower shooting pace. Using legacy lenses on the OM-D EM-5 also requires a bit of gearing down (auto focus not being available); the 'focus peaking' hack makes it a lot more feasible.

So this hack comes at a convenient time for me (as did the EM-5 itself) and gives me a couple of days to play with focus peaking before I drop a bundle on an alternative system. Which, by the way, is on sale right now :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

marcl

Mu-43 Regular
It works surprisingly well. Can I patent a mid-picture frame that includes this 'focus peeking' while the outer edge of the frame shows the regular view?

(Duh, did I just give up my idea without registering it first?)

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I just noticed that you can't initialize IBIS and use the hack. When I press the shutter and try using the faux focus peaking, the black outline disappears. Not a deal breaker by any means though!

MAubrey

Photographer
Real Name
Mike Aubrey
Another way that doesn't disable RAW is by simply selecting the filter from the super control panel.

LeoS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Any comparison with Sony's focus peaking yet?

I wouldn't be surprised if this actually works better than Sony's, as the algorithms/mechanisms used here would be similar to part of OM-D's (superior) cdaf mechanism.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
I just noticed that you can't initialize IBIS and use the hack. When I press the shutter and try using the faux focus peaking, the black outline disappears. Not a deal breaker by any means though!
Do you have E-M5, Custom Menu C, setting 'Half Way Rls With IS' set to "ON"?

Top Bottom