Focus peaking with Canon FD glass (800mm 5.6)

n3ptune

New to Mu-43
I’m new to the Olympus system and just got the em1 MII. I typically shoot manual focus with Canon glass using focus peaking for wildlife ans wanted to know if there's anyway to keep peaking ON automatically?

It seems that I have to re-enable it every time the camera wakes up from a button that I programmed it too.

Thanks!

macro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Danny
I don't use peaking with the 800mm. Generally I'm using it fairly close within 50 meters and I can see the details in the EVF. Often I find the peaking distracting, but peaking does disappear with the half press of the shutter. I did use it with the 500 F/4.5L for BIF's, but again peaking turns off with a half press.

It would be my biggest complaint with Oly. For BIF's their peaking system is useless using MF legacy lenses if you need to track, while Sony's peaking stays on permanently when tracking a BIF. I prefer Sony's peaking version.

All the best and IMO if you can, just rely on your eyes. Bracket focus forward or backward slightly while using a slow burst.

Danny.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
I don't use peaking with the 800mm. Generally I'm using it fairly close within 50 meters and I can see the details in the EVF. Often I find the peaking distracting, but peaking does disappear with the half press of the shutter. I did use it with the 500 F/4.5L for BIF's, but again peaking turns off with a half press.

It would be my biggest complaint with Oly. For BIF's their peaking system is useless using MF legacy lenses if you need to track, while Sony's peaking stays on permanently when tracking a BIF. I prefer Sony's peaking version.

All the best and IMO if you can, just rely on your eyes. Bracket focus forward or backward slightly while using a slow burst.

Danny.
Same here. Olympus peaking is okay for stationary subjects but for moving birds and mammals give me the Sony version.

I have peaking assigned to one of the front buttons and zoom view on the other. That way when using a manual lens, I can easily toggle the peaking on/off and check focus with the zoom.

n3ptune

New to Mu-43

Danny.
Thanks Danny --I've found that the em1 mii has decent focus peaking with BIF, and may have found somewhat of a work around this morning. I enabled the histogram so at least I know if that's showing then peaking isn't enabled; I then quickly tap my preset button to enable it.

Focus peaking on my EOS R works so nice but this Olympus camera is just so much quicker for action shots :)

Cj

macro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Danny
Thanks Danny --I've found that the em1 mii has decent focus peaking with BIF, and may have found somewhat of a work around this morning. I enabled the histogram so at least I know if that's showing then peaking isn't enabled; I then quickly tap my preset button to enable it.

Focus peaking on my EOS R works so nice but this Olympus camera is just so much quicker for action shots :)

Cj
Well that's interesting compared with the EOS R. I'm thinking of going auto focus for a change later this year with Oly. Not sure how long that will last, could be interesting though. It sure is very quick to use for sure.

Yes the E-M1 MKII is an excellent camera, no doubt about it and I enjoy it a lot.

All the best your way.

Danny.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom