Focus peaking on the E-PL1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RnR, Apr 28, 2013.

1. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    What the :confused:

From a little bit of everything | 43 Rumors

Can anyone confirm such a feature in the PL1?
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
  3. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thats what I thought - mayhaps 'flowerbug' has the camera model wrong. Or trying to sell an PL1...
  4. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    What he is referring to focus peaking is actually the shadow and highlight clipping display.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2.
  5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I wish there was focus peaking! Even if it was blue!? We have two AF100 video camcorders at work and they have focus peaking{white normal - optional red}. It is great! I would so love to have focus peaking on my PENs but it is not there. Heck even the E-M5 does not have it{other than the art filter trick}.

I just checked my E-PL1 and it still had FW 1.1 so I updated it to 1.2. There is no focus peaking with the rear LCD or with a VF2. If this somehow works it is only with the VF3.
  6. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Leica M240 has it... #sigh #drool and the Panasonic G6 - yay :biggrin:
  7. speedandstyle

I have done a little more playing around and found there is something going on here. It only happens with super high contrast, like black print on white paper. The black areas turn a slight dark blue where it is in focus. I do not think this is actual focus peaking going on but the original guy is not completely nuts.
    I know from playing with the AF100 that hair and animal fur almost glows with focus peaking. This blue effect did NOT show up at all on any of the cats or people I tried. Other than printed paper, the place I found it worked was my AC unit. The unit is off-white and the filter behind the vent is dark and there was a slight blue glow{almost like focus peak} between them.
    I tested it with both m4/3 lenses and adapted lenses and it is about the same. If you have a spot that is black edged against white or very light there is a slight blue spot between them. It is very hit or miss however and the blue is very subtle. It is also less noticeable if you use the magnify view.
    I also tested my E-PL2 and it does the same exact thing. It has version 1.3 firmware on it. This blue glow is visible on both the VF2 and the LCD. Please test yours and see if you see it.
    I think this may just be the "shimmer effect" but for some reason it has a blue cast to it that I never noticed before.
  8. speedandstyle

I don't think so. First off I can't find anything in either of my manuals that these cameras have that feature. Second it only happens at the spot that is in focus. Highlight clipping would show even if it was out of focus.
  9. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Could just be CA.
  10. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    Aliasing on the low(er) resolution screen. An OoF area is likely to be larger than the LCD pixel, but an area of high contrast will have details smaller than the LCD resolution so the software is constantly trying to display whatever sub-pixel detail it determines is the most prevalent, and this leads to a shimmering effect.
  11. speedandstyle

It does not show up in the pictures just on the screen, so it can't be.
  12. speedandstyle

You may be right and this sounds like the best answer. It would explain why it does it very little or not at all if you magnify. The weird thing is that before the update the shimmer was whitish and after the update it is much bluer. But it is possible Olympus changed some algoritim that shifted the color?
  13. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    I've definitely used the aliasing effect to nail focus using manual lenses on my E-PL1 before - I'm pretty sure I noted that on this forum before.