Focus peaking not working on M5 mkII

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hi

I've attached manual Minolta lens to my Oly M5 MkII and enabled focus peaking in red, however it doesn't seem to be working. I've used this feature on my Canon M5 and Panasonic G9, so am a bit puzzled.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
No - all I read was to go to cogs menu and the D list, and turned it on. Okay I'll Google how to turn it on - hope I can work it out, haven't ever assigned buttons before.
Menu ➡ ⚙ ➡ B Button/Dial/Lever ➡ Button Function

Then select the button you want to assign focus peaking to, hit OK, choose the ‘Peaking’ option, hit OK again and you should be good to go.

Menu D is just to configure how intense the peaking shadows/colours are and what colour it displays. Once you have a button set to activate peaking you can get to these settings by pressing the INFO button whilst peaking is active.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Then select the button you want to assign focus peaking to, hit OK, choose the ‘Peaking’ option, hit OK again and you should be good to go.

Menu D is just to configure how intense the peaking shadows/colours are and what colour it displays. Once you have a button set to activate peaking you can get to these settings by pressing the INFO button whilst peaking is active.
I like the use of those icons in you instructions, where did you get them ?

My peaking and magnify are set to the two front buttons on the EM1.3
One thing I could not follow if your instructions was the below
"Once you have a button set to activate peaking you can get to these settings by pressing the INFO button whilst peaking is active."

I set the EM1.3 to manual focus my usual way [using the clutch] activated peaking, but press the info button did not do anything. Mainly interested as there seem to be a lot of uses for the info button that I do not use. Peaking was active but the info button just cycled the rear LCD views as usual.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
I like the use of those icons in you instructions, where did you get them ?
These are standard emojis (I’m typing from my phone).

My peaking and magnify are set to the two front buttons on the EM1.3
One thing I could not follow if your instructions was the below
"Once you have a button set to activate peaking you can get to these settings by pressing the INFO button whilst peaking is active."

I set the EM1.3 to manual focus my usual way [using the clutch] activated peaking, but press the info button did not do anything. Mainly interested as there seem to be a lot of uses for the info button that I do not use. Peaking was active but the info button just cycled the rear LCD views as usual.
Just tried this on my E-M1 Mark III. If you use the button to toggle peaking the INFO button brings up the peaking settings as I described above. If you are using the focus clutch you have to be turning the focus ring at the same time as pressing the INFO button to see these options.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
These are standard emojis (I’m typing from my phone).

Just tried this on my E-M1 Mark III. If you use the button to toggle peaking the INFO button brings up the peaking settings as I described above. If you are using the focus clutch you have to be turning the focus ring at the same time as pressing the INFO button to see these options.
Yes that worked.
Played around with it a bit. If I turn the focus ring [paused] and quickly tap the INFO button the options came up. Pause a bit too long and it just toggles the view.
The way I normally hold the camera it was a bit fiddly for me to do. Initially I was pressing the info and play back at the same time.

For anyone else trying this and having problems. [probably wont like me] the below is what you see at the bottom of the screen
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

If my [fading] memory is correct for other functions [times] when press the INFO button does something an info icon comes up on the screen. Unless I missed it it does not in this case.

I like all these Olympus options to do things, it's just remembering them all :doh:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
No - all I read was to go to cogs menu and the D list, and turned it on.
Without assigning to a button, this only works with "digital" lenses (those that communicate with the camera) automatically as that is how the camera knows when you turn the focus ring.

On fully manual lenses, with no electrical contacts to the camera and thus no communication, the camera has no way to know if you are turning a focus ring or not or even if there is a lens mounted at all.

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Thanks - am a bit tired after work so will look at it when fresh tomorrow.

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran

OK - decided to have a try. That works - thanks so much, as it's a feature I used heaps on the Canon M5 and Panasonic G9. Need to set the M1 MkII as well.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom