1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Focus Peaking not showing up

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nuclearboy, Mar 8, 2014.

1. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I just received a 300mm lens today and I have been playing with it in the house since it was dark when I got home. Anyway, I cannot see any focus peaking information with this lens.

Here is my setup.

E-P5
    Focus peaking activated by red record button.
    New lens - Canon 300mm F4 -L on the same canon to m4/3 adapter I have been using for 2 years.

When I put the lens on and turn on focus peaking, I can see clearly that I can go forward and past the focus range but no peaking shows up.

I swap lenses to my OM 50mm f1.4 lens, do the same test and the focus peaking is very good. No changes to camera.

Turn off, swap lenses, try again at 300mm, no peaking. I can see the image change when I turn on focus peaking but there are no white highlights.

Whats up???

Does focus peaking struggle with long lenses?

Will it work better with more light and longer distances outside? (I will test this tomorrow)

Anyone have experience with focus peaking on 300mm + lenses?

Focus peaking seems to work fine with my Canon 200mm lens.

2. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Did you change the focal length in camera to 300mm? One of the best things about the GX7 is every time you slap on a legacy lens, it asks you to input/adjust the focal length. More light definitely matters; the shape of the object can matter (I know smooth dog fur can throw off my GX7, I'll see the peaking on their eyes but not fur) so try it again and see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
  3. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I did set fl to 300 but this does not seem to affect focus peaking. I also tried with ibis on and off.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Long lenses shouldn't affect things, my Nikon 300mm works fine. I'd double check that you have the settings set correctly, but as I don't have the E-P5, I can't advise on what to look for.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kbouk

kbouk Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2013
    Greece
    I assume you engage focus peaking with a button, it's the only way with manual lenses

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Focus peaking works best with high contrast edges. I shoot video every week and use focus peak to confirm the focus. I printed a focus chart to 13x19 inch and glued it to a piece of foam core. This gives a great glowing glob with focus peaking. BTW I use the other side of the board for white balance.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Problem solved in good light this morning.

I assume that the target I chose to focus on indoors last night simply did not have enough high contrast edges to show up well. The same target was much smaller in my 50mm lens view and the edges lit up with focus peaking. At 300mm, it was filling the frame and no peaking was showing up. I am assuming it has something to do with the resolution of the edges (with more pixels on the subject at 300mm, the peaking was not turning on).

Bottom line, this morning with outdoors shots at a greater distance, the peaking is showing up with this lens as expected.... Sorry for the false alarm.