1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Focus peaking, my take

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by nianys, Sep 14, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

I made a little blog post on focus peaking.

My much, much loved GX-1 left for good tonight (I'm glad it's going to a very nice fellow who looks like he'll take care of it). The rest of the m4/3 stuff is gone as well, only a 40-150 left to list for sale.

I remember being very, very curious of focus peaking prior to acquiring the NEX 5N, so I thought some of you guys might want to check some users impressions out.

Setting reasonable expectations | itsnotthecamera

Staying around, I'm hungered for manual glass now ;)

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yeah, most of us old timers on this board went through the MF phase a couple of years back together. I'm back into it again with two new voigts, but its only one tool of photography.

3. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

I never hinted it's the summit of photography or anything, I was just saying its a cool option that needs some dedication to deliver satisfying results. And peaking is a really super handy feature, I'm glad Panasonic is finally putting it in its new models ! It's gonna keep a few folks from going to Sony, if nothing else. Everything is a tool, a camera is a tool, so is the best lens in the world, isn't it ?

4. brokken

brokken Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    So forgive me if I this should be obvious, but does focus peaking require dedicated hardware, or is it something which could be implemented in firmware update to a camera like the EM-5?

5. Tycn

Tycn New to Mu-43

Apr 28, 2012
    Sydney
    It's entirely software based so there's no excuse for it not being implemented. There are external monitors you can buy that have focus peaking.

6. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Thanks for the link and posting a little of your life! Riding a horse scares the crap out of me. I'm 42 and rode for the 1st time on my own in March....for all of 5 minutes. Maybe I'll get up the courage to try it again, though it serves as never-ending amusement for my Fiancee.

Manual focusing (peaking) on a 5N and OMD experiences for me:

Love the 5N for the peaking....i like yellow set to medium or low for most settings. It's become more of a confirmation than anything else.

The OMD is very nice and preferable with the magnify set to on even through a half shutter press. Need to get the exposure set beforehand....as not being able to change it with magnification is a pain.

Both have their advantages.

FD lenses (yeah!):
    -135mm f3.5 that I like pretty well...dirt cheap too, might not be as sharp as your 135mm f2.5 (?) though.
    -35mm f2.5 FL lens, which is pretty much crap....not the same IQ as the FD 35mm f2 variants.
    -200mm f4 macro lens....this thing is just lovely if you do any macro work and need some decent distance between the lens and subject.
    Works nice as a 300mm eq. telephoto on a NEX body.

So many lenses to choose from...so little time.

Enjoy the manual lens quest....I love focusing manually for most things I shoot. Thanks again!

7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I think focus peaking is nice and I think it works well. Right now I am really into MF and using just a couple of legacy lenses. Whether or not focus peaking is any better than an LCD or EVF is up to the individual user. At my age (and with my particular vision issues) I find it simpler and more accurate than having to determine focus visually. I am curious to see how it works on the GH3 and if we will see it implemented across other m43 cameras. If Sony can retroactively add it to the NEX3 and NEX5 I should think it would be possible on an E-M5, GX1, E-P3 etc.

I'd love to have it on my GX1 that's for sure.

8. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

Since it's coming on the GH-3 it feels safe to think it'll be on the GX-2. If the latter has built-in EVF (I believe it will), it'll be a VERY strong NEX 6 competitor !! Personally I feel compelled staying with the larger sensor, especially at this stage when I'm into Manual focus for the moment, but I understand such a GX-2 with the M4/3 lens offering could be hard to resist, even to many NEX users ;)

For me shooting people, and not statues, magnification is useless in manual focus. Peaking has really changed my take on going manual. I understand for still subjects magnification probably works very, very well.

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Being an old timer who has used totally manual cameras, manual focus is not that hard most of the time. When it gets hard is when the light is low or action is going on or your subject is in shadow. Some lenses are easier to focus than others too. However I still want focus peaking or some sort of special assistance when manually focusing beyond the zoom feature.