focus peaking for EM5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jamesm1291, May 18, 2013.

1. jamesm1291

jamesm1291 New to Mu-43

May 7, 2012
    Now that the new EP5 will have focus peaking, giving it a real advantage for use with other manual lenses, such as Zeiss and Voitlander, is there a possibility for a firmware upgrade for the OMD that will allow focus peaking in manual mode? Or do we have to wait for a new model with a new sensor?

2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I'd be interested in that answer to that question. However don't forget that with the recent marketing decisions by Oly, they may want to save that trick for the next model to help its sales.

3. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    As an E-M5 owner, the answer would interest me, as well. However, I agree that only offering focus peaking on a new model (as a new feature) makes sense for Olympus from a business perspective. They have to give us some reason for wanting to upgrade to a newer body. :frown:

4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'd be totally happy with the Art Line filter trick for focus peaking if the OMD E-M5 would allow me to turn it on and off with a single button without sacrificing a mySet.

5. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    haha, do you actually use all of the myset's? now that's impressive! :wink:

6. usayit

Yup... very useful if you set it up. Albeit it can be a PITA to set up.

* One is normal general stuff
    * Manual lens is attached (quite a few settings here)
    * Tripod / landscape type work
    * Moving subjects.

I had to replace the "Tripod and landscape" mySet to be used for "focus peaking". You know what else they screwed up.. the inability to actually assign names to the mySets.

7. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    And it would be kinda a d**kbag move on their part. Dropping $1000+ on the EM-5, which is technically capable of doing focus peaking, but leaving it out to try to get users to upgrade and spend $1000+ on a new body would be rather underhanded.

I mean, the EM-5 is the current FLAGSHIP, and the whole "obsolete after 1 year" expectation we have now of technology is, frankly, stupid. I hope to be using my EM-5 for years, because it's quite capable and takes great photos.

Eh. I can understand the business sense behind it, and I'm a die hard free market capitalist, but it would still miff me if they left focus peaking out of the EM-5, but had it in whatever body replaces it. :/

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I expect this to happen & it won't upset me at all.

9. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    43 Rumors says that focusing peaking will not be available for the em5...

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's not just focus peaking that the EM5 could do with that more recent bodies have:

- Assigning Mysets to the mode dial
    - Showing current myset on screen
    - Persistent small focus point
    - Improved time lapse
    - Auto switch to lens OIS if present

Then there are the myriad of usability improvements that users have asked for (better button re-assigning being top of my list).

Will Oly do any of them? Having seen their latest financial results - I doubt it,

11. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Let's hope Olympus will update these features when the new em5 firmware when em6 come out?

12. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'm not sure that focus peaking can be introduced with firmware update; just wondering.

13. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Sony did for a few of the nex's back in the day.

14. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I mean, it already 'sort of' exists in the Art line filter 'hack'. I'm no coder but it seems simple enough to make it a firmware update feature.

Then again, this is a camera company - in the business of selling more cameras... so...

15. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Didn't know that. Then it should be possible BUT as said by others Olympus is a business company....:rolleyes:

16. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Agree 100%! Soon after I got my E-M5, I set up all 4 Mysets for various things - many of which I don't have a frequent need for, but I thought that I'd set them up for convenience sake - Wrong! Now I can't remember what 3 of them are for, or how I have the controls set up within those 3. The only one I use frequently (and therefore can remember it) is the one a set up for bracketed shooting (for HDR) - I have fn1 set to invoke that Myset on-demand.

17. usayit

I used my label maker and stuck it to the bottom of my camera. Kinda blah but hey... what can you do?

18. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Pentax also added it via firmware update to the Q and maybe their other cameras.

It seems that Olympus is going to reserve it for new bodies. I can understand why - sales BUT it is going to make a lot of people mad.

19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Maybe when the new body comes out Olympus can then update the EM5, at least.:shakehead:

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Sony also includes lens hoods.
    IMHO, the realistic approach is to expect Olympus to not include any of the new goodies in a firmware update to the OM-D E-M5.