Focus Peaking coming to E-M5!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BeyondTheLines, Jan 30, 2014.

1. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    When that was first posted, I was very skeptical, because it sounded like it could have been an inaccurate, off-handed comment or a misunderstanding.

But now, it's been updated to say that they have clarified and double-checked this information specifically with Olympus reps. Very exciting. But almost unbelievable.
  3. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    I'll count it when that chicken hatches.
  4. bnys

bnys Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2014
    I reported on this and I'd like to reiterate that Olympus US told us on the record at CES that this is happening. Their reps were quick to respond when I brought it up in the E-M10 presentation there. They've given us a non-confirmation confirmation this week saying that it "could happen".

Given that the cheaper E-M10 has focus peaking, I think it's only right that the E-M5 also gets this feature.
  5. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I'm thinking about buying the new E-M10 (all I currently have is an ancient E-520), but if they added focus peaking to the E-M5, it might sway my decision. It's one of the upgrades that comes with the E-M10 that I most wanted (I don't care about weather-proof, etc). It might come down to price - the E-M5 with discounting because of its age, might be cheaper than the E-M10, at least for awhile...
  6. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    A confirmation would be if they said that it will happen. (Big difference.) Although I'm hoping for it, I will believe it when I see it.
  7. rxstuve

rxstuve Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Is there an advantage with focus peaking if you use native lenses?

I can see an advantage with a native lens in video if it works int hat mode. :)

I just don't see the advantage unless you use adapted or non AF lenses.

Please fill me
  8. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Yeah the advantage is more with native lenses + video, plus adapted lenses... or that sweet Nokton I have, that I've been wishing for a camera body that has focus peaking :thumbup:
  9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am of the same mind as you. I want focus peaking and would already own an E-M5 if it had it.