Focus Peaking coming to E-M5!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BeyondTheLines, Jan 30, 2014.

1. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    When that was first posted, I was very skeptical, because it sounded like it could have been an inaccurate, off-handed comment or a misunderstanding.

But now, it's been updated to say that they have clarified and double-checked this information specifically with Olympus reps. Very exciting. But almost unbelievable.

3. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Toronto
    I'll count it when that chicken hatches.

4. bnys

bnys Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2014
    I reported on this and I'd like to reiterate that Olympus US told us on the record at CES that this is happening. Their reps were quick to respond when I brought it up in the E-M10 presentation there. They've given us a non-confirmation confirmation this week saying that it "could happen".

Given that the cheaper E-M10 has focus peaking, I think it's only right that the E-M5 also gets this feature.

5. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I'm thinking about buying the new E-M10 (all I currently have is an ancient E-520), but if they added focus peaking to the E-M5, it might sway my decision. It's one of the upgrades that comes with the E-M10 that I most wanted (I don't care about weather-proof, etc). It might come down to price - the E-M5 with discounting because of its age, might be cheaper than the E-M10, at least for awhile...

6. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    A confirmation would be if they said that it will happen. (Big difference.) Although I'm hoping for it, I will believe it when I see it.

7. rxstuve

rxstuve Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    USA
    Is there an advantage with focus peaking if you use native lenses?

I can see an advantage with a native lens in video if it works int hat mode. :)

I just don't see the advantage unless you use adapted or non AF lenses.

Please fill me

8. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Yeah the advantage is more with native lenses + video, plus adapted lenses... or that sweet Nokton I have, that I've been wishing for a camera body that has focus peaking :thumbup:

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am of the same mind as you. I want focus peaking and would already own an E-M5 if it had it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.