Focus peaking and O17 1.8 question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by So Thankful, Dec 8, 2015.

1. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    When I engage the manual focus clutch on my O17 1.8 mounted to my E-M5 MK II I loose the focus peaking. Is this normal? Have I got something set wrong?

2. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    I might be wrong but I think you have to activate the focus peaking. I have assigned a button for that so when I engage the manual focus, I just have to press that and focus peaking is active. We'll see if any experts comment..maybe I am doing it wrong all along :)

3. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I think you haven't - I do it in the same way on my E-M10 because it doesn't work any other way. A bit of a downer, to be honest - focus peaking should actually be the default behaviour on pulling the focus ring ...

I'd be very interested in being proven wrong in this particular case :)

M.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Go to Settings - AF mode - Still Picture and select S-AF+MF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    Doesn't work with the 17mm when the MF clutch is used...not the case for the 12-40mm where it works correctly. A bit of a shame really.

6. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, you are right it does not work on the 17 but it does on the 12-40mm. That is odd.

7. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    Well that is a bummer! So I guess I will have to assign a Fn Btn. Perhaps that is something Olympus can address in future firmware of the 17mm. Does anyone know if it works on the 12mm?

8. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    I don't own any MF lenses but was looking at getting a Voightlander 42.5 this next year. Does focus peaking work with it?

9. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    Yes, it does.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Just re-checked everything: Focus peaking on pulling back the focus clutch works with the E-M10 for the 12-40mm *and* the 12mm; same thing on the E-PL7. This actually means that the 17mm is the odd one out - even after the recent firmware update. Makes me wonder if anyone ever really complained to Olympus about this ... A bummer for sure.

Meanwhile, I've done what dornblaser suggested: Assign a button to switch on peaking if needed - this way, I'm no longer dependent on the camera/lens combo's behaviour. On the E-M10, I chose the Fn2 button; on the E-PL7, the magnifying glass ...

M.

• Like Like x 1
  11. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    Thanks for checking all that. At least I know my camera/lens is not malfunctioning.

12. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    So how do we get this info to Olympus? Does anyone from Olympus monitor this forum?

13. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    This thread was almost a disaster for me. I had the O12-40 on my camera and when I went to check the O17 the O12-40 rolled off of my desk and hit the hardwood floor with sickening loud thud. Luckily, I had it in a neoprene lens sleeve and it suffered no ill effects. Yikes!

14. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    WOW! Glad your lens is OK!

15. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    You're right - that's why I just send an e-mail explaining the matter to my local Olympus distributors (Olympus Switzerland).

M.

16. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Any chance there's a firmware update for the 17mm lens that addresses this?

17. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Ouch ... I know the feeling ... once, my 20mm slipped and literally went for a walk. Fortunately, it hit my boot before it hit the ground, but then it rolled away, and I was lucky to catch it before it descended down a staircase. Made my heart pound for ten minutes afterwards ...

Glad the worst was avoided for you!

Re: The new firmware - no, it hasn't. I've already updated all my lenses.

EDIT: Re: Firmware: I'm trying to find out, actually (sorry for misreading your post).

M.

18. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    My O17 was updated with the recent firmware.

19. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    Thanks so much MoonMind, I look forward to hearing what Olympus has to say.

Thanks to all of you that have participated in this thread. This forum has an outstanding group of helpful folks!

20. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    So I am not at home yet so can not check my 17/1.8 against my E-M1 but I do have a couple comments/observations on this thread that probably need clarification.

I don't have the E-M5 II so I am making some assumptions here that these features work the same as they do on the E-M1, but I may be mistaken, so keep that in mind.

1) Peaking, and a number of other functions, are not available when keystone compensation is enabled. So may not be likely the problem in this case, but something to check if you normally have that compensation turned on. Or at least report back and verify that you have Keystone compensation disabled (which I think is the default).

2) There is often some confusion between two different ways to get peaking. Which one you are using may act differently than the other in this particular situation. So it is important to let us know which way you are actually using the peaking function.

First way
    is the Manual Focus Assist mode which is where the camera will automatically switch on Peaking and/or magnification (depending on which ones you turn on in that menu) when it senses you are manually focusing the lens (requires a lens with communication to the camera). In addition, with the 17/1.8 lens you also have two modes to manually focus. Switching to MF on the camera or pulling the clutch. Those two might also act different from each other for this MF Assist function.

The second way to get Peaking is by assigning it to a button. Where as the MF Assist feature automatically turns on peaking and then when you stop turning the lens focus also automatically turns it off, this second way is assigning peaking to a button. This way simply turns on the feature for as long as you want to leave it on. I am not aware of this feature normally turning off if you switch AF to MF modes on the camera (will have to try it tonight). But the lens clutch may be treated differently from MF mode on the camera.

So my question to the original poster is which "Peaking" are you referring to in this discussion?