Focus Peaking and Manual Lens

JediCheese

Mu-43 Rookie
I've figured out how to use focus peaking on my Panasonic and Olympus lenses with my EM10.3. They make focusing much easier with the red highlights.

The problem is I have a Laowa 7.5 mm lens and can't for the life of me get it to focus peak the same way. It's turned on in the menu and I've also tried enabling it to a function button, but it only allows me to zoom in further on an area. Am I doing something wrong or is it just not enabled on non-auto focus lenses?

Hi,

I use to have that lens and don't recall using peaking with it. But from my experience you set it to f5.6 and everything is in focus from a few feet to infinity. Maybe this why the peaking doesn't show!

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Dunno if it applies to Oly, or if it relates to whether focus peaking works on not, but on the Pany bodies, you have to tell the camera the focal length when using a manual lens...

MarcioK

Mu-43 Rookie
Are you sure that you've mapped the peaking for the function button? Tried here in my E-m10 MK III with a Rokinon 12mm and it worked ok - and since you said that when you use the function button the image is zoomed, looks like that you've mapped the Magnify or the Digital Teleconverter option for the button.

Oly's bodies are trickier to use with manual lenses - Panasonic bodies allows to map a button (usually the back dial, that can be pressed) to engage peaking and Focus Assist (the magnified image) with just one button press (the same behaviour when you turn the focus dial on a electronic lens in manual focus). But with Olympus you have to map two different buttons, one to engage peaking and another to enlarge the image (is one of my longest gripes with the Olys).

Try this settings with your Laowa (great lens, wanna buy one some day):
- Menu -> Gear (5th) Option -> A option -> MF Assist -> Turn ON both the Magnify and Peaking Options
- Menu -> Gear (5th) Option -> B option ->Button Function -> Fn1 or Fn2 -> Choose the Peaking Option

Then, when you press the assigned button, the peaking should appear on screen. Since it is a wide lens, try to focus a near subject to test (far targets will probably always be in focus).

wanderer

Mu-43 Rookie
I’m new to m4/3. What I have noticed with peaking (using red/low) with a 35/2.5 lens is I need to be shooting wide open to notice it. Then it’s very good. Once I start stopping down it goes away quickly. With the dof you have, it would not be surprised you’re not seeing peaking.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Yesterday, I borrowed a Lowa 7.5mm fisheye. Set the GX80 to 8mm as requested. Then set the aperture to 6.3, A mode. Focus set to about 1/3rd. Everything in the viewfinder was blue, I forgot about peaking. All went well.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Attachments

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom