Focus Peaking and Auto Focus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nublar, May 4, 2015.

1. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    SOCAL
    I've never used a camera with focus peaking and was wondering if it was active on autofocus in the EM-10 or GX7.

Thanks!

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I don't have either of those cameras, so I can't answer your question, but I wonder what the point would be of focus peaking combined with AF. I don't see the use case other than to double-check that the AF focused correctly, which I've not ever found to be an issue. Besides, these cameras nail focus so quickly that I doubt the screen/viewfinder would refresh quickly enough that you'd be able to really determine the effect via peaking.

3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I've had it on when S-AF + M. So the E-M10 will auto focus and then I can fine tune the point with peaking being displayed.

4. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    SOCAL
    Not sure if I'm doing something weird but I wanted to use AE/AF to lock in focus/exposure and then use the focus peaking to see when something comes into that focus area.

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use ur that way.

6. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    What you probably want to do is set up your camera for AF+MF and use back button focus. Then you can use your manual focus ring to fine tune and use your shutter button to take the shot.

7. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

I might be using it wrong but I seem to remember the last time I played with it and an AF lens, the FP function actually disabled itself on a half press of the shutter button. I haven't used it with back button focus to see if it's the same. I remember reading the E-M5-2 had an improved version of FP, I generally don't find it that great on my E-P5 at all - framerate is basically quartered and it fails badly in low light.

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

On the GX7 you can enable it so that if you turn the MF ring while the AF button (or shutter half press) is active it will enable your focus aids (magnify or peaking) and allow manual adjustment. It's nice for fine tuning or checking focus (great for Macro in particular)

9. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    On E-M10 in the menu you can configure the focus assist and you can choose to have magnify, peaking, both or none. These last for a few seconds since you turn the focus ring in MF mode or AF+MF.
    To do the pseudo focus trap you are after probably it's better to assign the peaking function to a custom button to better control stop and start.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  10. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Focus peaking works fine on the GX7 with picture in picture. However I find it distracting when trying to finalise composition. For static subjects where you've decided on composition in advance, it works well. On the 'street', however, I find hyperfocal manual focus better; you only have a split second to get the shot, and auto focus can be a bit hit and miss; mostly due to operator error I admit.

11. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    SOCAL
    Thanks for the replies. Found an EM-10 deal I couldn't refuse so I'll be playing around with it.