1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Focus Peaking - a different use

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by starlabs, Aug 22, 2011.

1. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I know there has been some discussion about Sony's focus peaking implementation on the Nex cameras.

It's neat I will admit, but not for me. I would rather manual focus the old way for critical focus. That's when I want to manual focus...

The thought occurred to me however, that focus peaking can be a killer feature for something else: chimping!

How many times have you reviewed a picture on the camera's lcd, noted it as fine only to realize it was out of focus when you finally reviewed it on your computer? Annoying as heck for me, that's for sure. What if camera manufacturers implemented a "this region is in focus" mode for playback, similar to how they blink clipped highlights and shadows?

This for me, would be great. With a quick review you can tell if the faces of your subjects are blinking or not. Or instead something in the background is blinking.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree, Hiep! :thumbup:

3. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Far, far too many and, yes, it's the most annoying thing ever! Always looks great on the LCD though..... :dash2:

I'd still like peaking for focusing rather than reviewing though - no point in finding out after the fact when you can find out during it....

4. That would be an equally great implentation of focus peaking. In it's absense I'm glad that we now get to review images on big, hi-res screens compared to the dinky old 1.8" and 2" screens of yesteryear.