Focus Hunting in 14-50 PL lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Herb, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Herb

Herb Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    I am using a 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter on my G3, and am generally happy with the setup. One thing I would like to improve is the focus operation.
    The camera tends to try a focus, doesn't like it, and then refocus properly. Thus any fast focusing is not possible.

Any buttons to push that would help this? Manual focus seems to be the only option at the moment.

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    No, there is no magic trick; you are going to have slow autofocus. The lenses for 4/3 for the most part are optimized for phase detect autofocus, while your G3 uses contrast detect autofocus.

3. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    It looks to be just a CDAF thing... if you're pointing at something with relatively low contrast, the camera is going to have a hard time focusing properly. Even with native m43 lenses this happens (on the 20mm, more often than other native lenses I've found).

Using 43 lenses the problem can be worse, especially if the lens has no limiter *cough* ZD 50mm f/2 *cough*

4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Preach! Lol. I love the lens
    But sometimes this drives me bonkers:)

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Setting up back-button focus will help. This will allow you to pre-focus, then release the shutter at your leisure. Overall, this can make taking photographs a lot faster when relying on auto-focus, though it doesn't make the autofocus technically faster.

I wouldn't be able to tell you how to set up back-button focus on your Panasonic, though.

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, this lens is pretty slow (at least the f/2.8-3.5 version). Previous generations of cameras wouldn't even focus it at all!

I have tried some of the different settings, the Quick AF (prefocusing) etc, and it's still slow.

This is why we need a native fast zoom!

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Unfortunately, so far m4/3 means that a lot of nice 4/3 lenses like your Panasonic just don't focus well. Worse, Olympus and Panasonic don't seem very interested in remedying the situation.

Only thing you can do is wait, or switch to a different lens. The Olympus 14-54II is by most accounts significantly better in terms of focus speed. No OIS though.

DH

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There is not much they can do to remedy the situation. The Panny lens is optimized for PDAF (where the camera tells the lens exactly where to go) and the Oly Mk II lens is optimized for CDAF (which requires an iterative process) with lighter weight moving components, etc.

If you want a fast zoom with OIS, the Panny is your only option. You have to weigh that against the focus performance

9. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's wrong. the 14-54II is mechanically identical to the original 14-54. There was no redesign of focus motors. The focusing components are the same weight.

And there's plenty they can do. One option would be sensor PDAF like Fuji has on some of their models. Another option would be a translucent mirror and AF sensor in the adapter like Sony has (but without the screw-drive motor, so it need not be any bigger than the current adapter). A third option would be to offer a retrofit or trade-in plan for existing owners to a m4/3 equivalent lens.

But they have done none of those. There's a reason the 14-54I goes for only $250 used - with 4/3 out of the picture and m4/3 unable to focus well with it, there's not a whole lot of demand.

The upcoming Panasonic 12-35 may be a workable substitute, but only if one accepts a much higher price and limited range.

Yes. But the point is you shouldn't have to.

DH

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Panasonic is running a business, not a lens museum.

If their resources could be devoted to either the above OR creating native lenses that deliver on the size/weight promises of m43, I would much prefer the latter thankyouverymuch.

Sony HAS to make those adapters because their native lens lineup is SO weak. I am sure they realize they won't sell many NEX7 if people are stuck with only emount as the AF option.

11. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It's a lot easier to design one good adapter or PDAF system, than to design and produce the 8 or so prime lenses needed to replace the Olympus and Panasonic HG lineup.

I think it's a lot more complicated than that. Sony hasn't decided yet whether they want to merge mirrorless and SLT. But the adapter encourages Sony users with one system to buy into the other.

DH

12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Right, and encouraging people to spend more money with Sony. Since Panny doesn't sell the 43 lenses any more, what's in it for them?

Olympus is the one who has the most to gain from this action, not Panny.