focus hesitation on brand new 12-40 pro

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by gilo9652, Apr 10, 2015.

1. gilo9652

gilo9652 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2015
    Gil
    hi guys,

i just bought brand new em5ii and 12-40 pro(and also 40-150 pro). i already had pan 12-35 and i was planing to sell it as i changed all my gear to olympus.
    as i AF with the 12-40 i experience hesitations when the light is not very bright but not too dark on surfaces where contrast is a bit challenging but really not too much. When i compare to the 12-35 it performs better, seg better. Sometimes the 12-40 wouldn't focus at all. I am so disappointed. I really didn't expect that.
    Also, on the em5ii there is a tiny mark on the sensor.

It's crazy. I bought all of it from B&H. The thing is that i am from Israel and now really don't know what to do... My family brought it to Israel for me, thats why i never had the chance to check it while being in NY.

Please, what do you think i should do? I really didn't expect 12-40 to be inferior in AF than 12-35. Did anyone experience it? And this tiny mark on the sensor. Big mess...

Feeling really upset and worried.

Any suggestion and support from you will help.

Gil.

2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I previously owned the 12-35 and I have the 12-40 and EM-5 mk ii currently. I like the AF with the 12-40 and mk ii. I would call B&H tomorrow, it is the mark on the sensor that concerns me the most, that may be causing your AF problems.

3. gilo9652

gilo9652 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2015
    Gil
    maybe. But when trying the AF on the 12-35 it functions normally(and I'm experienced with this lens since i had it on first em5 for several years, and it performs equally).

Its crazy that the 12-40 just hesitates and sometimes not focusing in situations where it should.. In this case it could be a defect lens?
    its also more noisy than the 12-35, but I'm ok with that, not a big deal. AF like that i wouldn't accept..

Should i try sensor cleaning the body?

Really unpleasent way to start with a super expensive new gear...

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I assume same lighting conditions as when you use the 12-35? Just curious, what happens when you use the touchscreen to focus?

I would still call B&H tomorrow.

5. davdenic

davdenic Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Switzerland
    David D.
    Hi first of all check if the AF is central point or auto, normal or small. I think you know that but maybe could help.

6. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I've just got myself one of the 12-40's and I'm finding AF unreliable on my GX7, it's hesitant and often mis-focuses. I'm using 1-Area focus point by the way.
    Switching the lens to my EM5 MkI it seems more compitent. Most strange.