1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Focus for Video

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by fuzzynormal, Apr 29, 2015.

1. fuzzynormal

fuzzynormal Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2015
    I shoot video with the M5II. Still getting into it though and figuring it out.

I'm manual focus guy --so what I want to know, and maybe I'm overlooking it, is this: is it possible to enable focus "punch in" assist in movie mode? You know, when you twist the focus ring and it zooms in to set focus. It seems like it's on by default in the photo modes, but absent in movie.

Also, if I'm using old vintage glass on the camera is there a way to program any function key for focus punch-in assist?

I hope I'm just overlooking this in the manual.

2. fuzzynormal

fuzzynormal Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2015
    Yikes. The silence is deafening. I'm going to keep looking for a solution, but at this point it looks like a bit of an oversight by Olympus?

Or, if anyone can confirm this is not possible, I'd appreciate that feedback too.

Thanks.

3. fuzzynormal

fuzzynormal Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2015
    FWIW, the best workaround for that automatic "punch-in" focus assist when shooting video is to just shoot in M (manual) mode.

[Edit] Got it, I think. Looks like a possibility in Multi-function mode...err...nope. Disabled in movie mode.

Unfortunately, when I start shooting video in M mode, the camera for some reason is defaulting to an auto exposure, so now I need to figure out if it's possible to turn that off.

Dang, Olympus, you be illin'.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    There was a good video and discussion from mpgxsvcd (I don't know if he posts here) about tricks and tips with the em5II and stills/video.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55564166

Maybe he can help you? I'm still sitting on the fence to see I the em5ii will help me with stabilised long shots. (I currently have lx100 and gx7).

By the way your posts on eoshd are really helpful for people shooting video on the Panasonic and Olympus cameras.

5. fuzzynormal

fuzzynormal Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2015
    Yeah, functionality is different with the Olympus camera, but I'll report my own end user notes and see if they do any tweaks with firmware. Just seems so odd it's left out of the movie-mode.

The camera 5-axis stabilization works ideally for a certain recurring gig I do, so I'm making good use out of it.

I've blown a few shots on focus though and that's frustrating. And the way I shoot my shots (with lots of foreground objects and depth) essentially makes auto focus a "gets-in-the-way" tool. But that does't really bother me, I've never shot video with anything other than manual focus anyway...just need a practical way to assist.

• Like Like x 1
  6. fuzzynormal

fuzzynormal Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2015
    I'll tell you one of the really great things about this little camera if you're using it for video in a documentary type setting: you can add the grip accessory which also features a headphone jack that monitors the audio being recorded.

In addition to giving a shooter the advantage of longer battery life, this audio feature alone is well worth it.

For example, I shoot with a wireless microphone receiver attached to the hot-shoe and that unit's audio feed is inputted into the cam's mic jack. Small, clean, and easy. The wireless transmitter is then hooked up to a lav mic or to an op using a shotgun with boom pole.

The ability to listen to that audio going onto the card is a huge !HUGE! advantage. This is something that's extremely convoluted with other mirrorless cameras and DSLR's.

I've had to do a lot of "outboard" audio recording over the years with Canon and Panasonic gear. Parsing that gear down as well as getting assured audio recored onto the internal footage was such a welcome surprise.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    I wish they would add the focus peaking to video (shooting with em1 and em5). Have they added that to the em5ii.

8. fuzzynormal

fuzzynormal Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2015
    Yes. It works, but I also find it can obstruct pinpoint focus on wider shots, so I don't trust it wholly.

9. RamblinR

Aug 16, 2012
    Maria
    Don't know if this will help but I use MF/af for focus. You can then use the auto focus with the shutter button and continue with manual. You can use auto focus during the shoot if you know you will be cutting the clip where you have done the focus. Obviously won't work for old manual lenses but useful for native lenses.

10. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    That was one of the items I am most looking forward to with the EM-5II as well as getting IBIS back for longer lenses. The jitter on my P35-100 is really bad even after the firmware upgrade. If that lens had decent stabilisation for video I'd just stick with my LX100 (wide shots) and GX7 (long shots) as they share batteries and have the same colour profiles.

Have you tried any multi-cam video using the EM-5II and your GX7? I'm sure it must be difficult to match the picture profiles.

11. fuzzynormal

fuzzynormal Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2015
    Yes, I did this on a shoot 3 weeks ago. It worked okay. Just had to dial in similar settings beforehand and was able to match the grade decently in post. I set up the M5II as I liked it and then matched to that.

BTW, it was a corporate interview thing with the GX7, M5II, 7D, and 5D. Quite a mix.

I got it pretty close and the client liked the edit, so....

12. RamblinR

Aug 16, 2012
    Maria
    I have 2x em1, 1x em5 and 1x g6 (don't have the em5ii). I haven't tried to use the G6 in the mix yet as it has a different frame rate and colour. I use fcpx for editing ... would there be a lot of work matching the g6 to the mix.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  13. fuzzynormal

fuzzynormal Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2015
    Is it a lot of work? Sort of if you've never done it before. You'll need to know your camera's menus and color settings pretty good...plus, have patience to do the subtle adjustments.

It's not really hard, but it can be a little time consuming.

Match the GH6 frame rates and color to your Olympus cameras before your shoot and you should fine. The Panasonic GH6 has variable frame rates. 30p being one of them. You can buy a color chart for adjusting if you wish. I usually just set up a collection of various stuff in my studio and then balance the colors between the cameras by eyeballing the scene.

It gets me close enough so that color grading in post is breezy.