1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Focus Chip for m4/3s

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, Oct 27, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I finally received my replacement focus chip from Tagotech, as the previous one was confirmed faulty. Once again I went through the rather fiddly installation process, but at the end of it, the chip was making all the right indications that things were working. By that I mean the screen was showing f2.8 as the default aperture reading when attached, so messages were being sent from chip to camera.

So does it work? Yes and no. It's rather hit or miss as to whether you get focus indication when a subject is in focus. More often than not the AF light just blinks, but sometimes it actually locks on and appears to have selected things correctly. At other times, the AF light locks when everything is blurred. Once the light starts blinking, it will never lock on and stop blinking. I tried it with various lenses and it's pretty much the same all round. A thing to note as well is that you cannot use any lenses that protrude beyond the lens flange, as the element hits the back of the chip. So the chip is limited as to the type of lenses that can be used.

At the end of the day is it worth it? I'd say not really. I'd had my hopes, but it's just so hit or miss that you'd end up missing shots, losing time and getting frustrated trying to get it to work. Clearly there is potential here, as some have said that this type of chip cannot work with contrast detect AF, but obviously it can. I think that were a larger manufacturer like CV to attempt to make these and incorporate them into a properly engineered adapter, then possibly things would be more consistent. At the moment, you'd be better off passing on this device.

After a further try, the chip just failed mechanically and I wasn't even getting an image on the screen; fortunately, nothing was damaged on the camera. The overall quality control appears to be fairly haphazard and I suspect that this also has an impact on the performance of the chip. Again, maybe if a larger concern attempted to make these chips, things might work better.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 3
  2. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the information OzRay. I'm a little disappointed too because the number one item on my wish list is some way to get focus confirmation with adapted manual lenses. Hopefully, some one will figure out a way. :frown:

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Thanks for the update - had this item on my eBay watch list for a while - time to hit the Delete button. There would be a good market for adapters that include the chip and that work.

4. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Well, that's disappointing, but thanks for being the guinea pig.

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Thanks Ray, you may have saved plenty of folk from spending money prematurely. I'm sure if they (chip-designers) concentrated they could make a fully working version, but there might not be enough profit in that.
    Interestingly Kirk Tuck's blog about the Canon 60D talks about similar failings with ... anyway here's the little bit ; "I originally bought the 50 Zeiss to use on the 5D2. I thought it would create very cool looking images with impressive DOF effects and it did that just fine. But what it didn't do well was manually focus. And when I used the focus indicator or the focus indicator+obnoxious beep I found that the combination missed the point of sharp focus, no matter how I had the camera set. The 7D was a bit more accurate but even with the micro adjust feature of both the more expensive cameras I was never quite sure I'd get what I wanted in sharp focus." credit:Kirk Tuck and his excellent embarrass-your-teenage-son-visual-science blog.

6. JimmySingapore

JimmySingapore New to Mu-43

Nov 23, 2010
    Singapore
    Hi all

I just bought the chip for the Pen EPL1 and it doesn't work at all! Even Tagotech can't help me.. I cannot get into Programming mode, pressing the Function button after pressing the lens release button..

Anybody know how to get to work or should I just tear it out and throw it away?

Thanks.

Jimmy
    Singapore

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Just throw it away. It's more angst that it's worth, until someone figures out a quality product.

Cheers

Ray