Focus bracketing using EM1 II

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Richard_M, Jul 13, 2019 at 12:02 AM.

1. Richard_M

Richard_M Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    I do a lot of focus bracketing using the Olympus EM1 with the 60mm macro lens.

Prior to ver 3 release of the firmware everything was working great. Since ver 3, and now 3.1, whenever I do focus bracketing, at the completion of the bracket, the camera resets the focus back to the start point. This is the way Fuji implemented it in their bodies, which made me look to alternatives, and why I started using the Olympus system. I'm not sure why Olympus have made this change, or if there is a setting in the menus to disable it, but it is a pain when taking so many brackets like I do on an outing and not knowing if the end point of the stack is far enough past the subject without checking the preview. This also makes it hard to add a few more additional images to the original stack.

I will try changing the lens to manual focus next time I'm out and see if that will leave the focus point at the end of the stack.

Other than changing to manual focus, which I haven't tried yet, anyone else find this change a nuisance?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I'm stumped by your question.

Are you using back-button focus, AF-Lock, or something to enable taking a picture without refocusing? In normal AF shooting, the next focus point is going to be wherever you focus next, regardless of where it left off before. I've never tested whether it resets to the original focus point with manual focus bracketing. Also, considering the variables of aperture, focal length, distance to subject, number of frames and interval, the only way I've ever known to check whether my focus bracket went far enough was to check the preview of the last image taken. Did you have another way?

3. Richard_M

Richard_M Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    Prior to Ver 3, the focus would remain where the bracketing finished. As it’s live view I could see if the subject needed a few more images or not, and if so, I would take another sequence. Yes, it would normally take too many additional shots as I didn’t bother changing any settings as I didn’t want to bump the camera. I use a wireless shutter release.

4. Bushboy

Bushboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2018
    Aotearoa
    Charlie
    Dive into the menu.
    It's there!
    Somewhere!

5. Bushboy

Apr 22, 2018
    Aotearoa
    Charlie
    I know exactly what you mean.
    My M5ii set to take 25 pics, sometimes 4 or 5 shutter activations to get the lot in focus.
    Must of reset the focus menu with the update. I'm always in manual focus anyways. That way I can get the sequence started right where I want it to. Autofocus did my head in...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    So, if I understand you correctly, the focus on Live View (without you pressing the shutter button) used to remain on the point where the bracketing stopped. I never noticed that before, probably because I do almost all of my focus bracketing hand-held.

7. Richard_M

Richard_M Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    Correct, Nikon also do this. Fuji on the other hand decided to be different, and now Olympus are doing the same. I’m not sure why the change, but I guess somebody thought it a good idea. :)

8. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Maybe write Olympus and ask if they could make this a setting. Chances are low they'll do anything, but it couldn't hurt to try.

9. Louis Dallara

Louis Dallara Louis Dallara Fine Art Photography Subscribing Member

Nov 2, 2018
    Mount Laurel, NJ USA
    Louis Dallara
    Great Thread!
    Does anyone know of a great you tube video on focus bracketing using the Olympus EM1

10. Bushboy

Apr 22, 2018
    Aotearoa
    Charlie
    That’ll be a real drag.
    1. Check the menu again under focus reset.
    2. Try manual focus.
    3. Try setting number of images too 100, and watch live view, and press shutter release 2nd time to end the sequence when your done.
    4. My cabled release, has a release button that can be held in to fire continuously.... ?

11. Richard_M

Richard_M Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    The good news, apparently I can get my firmware put back. I was out on a photowalk this afternoon and the host knows a few people in our local Olympus centre. He told me they can install an earlier version of the firmware. He is going to arrange it, then I’ll get one of the bodies put back to prior ver3

• Like Like x 1
  12. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    It seems to me that it is better as it works now, if you adapt how you use it.
    If you didn't do enough shots or the differential was wrong, you just adjust them and take the sequence again, with the focus automatically set back to the start point.
    If you keep doing sequences without enough shots, why not always take more than you think you need?

By reverting to the old software you will lose all the many improvements.

13. Bushboy

Apr 22, 2018
    Aotearoa
    Charlie
    It seems to me, that they've really dumbed it down by resetting the focus at the end of the sequence.
    What could be simpler than simply pressing the shutter release again?
    Out of curiosity Richard, what differential, do you use?
    I use differential 1. Always. Never adjust it.
    Shots set at 25 pics. Once for 25, twice for 50, sometimes 75 or even a hundred! until I have everything I want focused, focused.
    Am I doing it wrong? :/

14. Bushboy

Apr 22, 2018
    Aotearoa
    Charlie
    And quite often, if I see it has gone past what is required, and if I press the shutter release again , it will stop taking the shots in the middle of the sequence.. Very handy!

15. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Differential 1 is good, yes.
    I assume you have a good fast large SD card?
    You are making things complicated by trying to save a few seconds and a bit of SD card space.
    Set it for 100 shots and leave it. If you do ever need more, change it and take the sequence again, but this would not happen often.
    Then you won't need to mess around, it will work every time.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Richard_M

Richard_M Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    I guess it depends on what type of photography one does as to whether you get the benefits of new options with firmware upgrades.
    Due to the small size of many of the subjects I like to photograph, and considering the camera is usually inverted on a tripod and sitting virtually in the dirt/mud to capture the subject, times the number of subjects I can photograph on a photowalk, anything to make my life a little easier is all I require.

This example image from yesterday, (cross posted in Wildflowers forum), is the type of subject I like to photograph. These orchids are tiny, and close to the ground. This is a 12 image focus bracket merged in post.

Pelican-orchid
    48269436046_f4aeb3c3fe_b.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Bushboy

Apr 22, 2018
    Aotearoa
    Charlie
    It’s a beautiful shot Richard.
    So well done. Maybe, a few points off because of that out of focus angled stick in the background.
    Your pics are inspirational.
    Do you use different apertures? Different focus differentials?
    F/4 for me, although I’m going to try lower and see how that goes. Higher is out of the question, to much background baggage.
    I’m having trouble with the exposures at the moment, can’t seem to nail it. Lighting in general is pretty difficult.
    My mate gave me a thing called a “elastolite “, waving it around over the subject is proving remarkably eye opening...
    I’m going to try using the little accessory flash, but don’t hold much hope for success with it.
    Anyways, great pic with the dwarf orchid. Such a cool plant! I hope I can find one!

18. Richard_M

Richard_M Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thank you @Bushboy

I generally use f/5.6 thru to f/7.1 with a differential of 3

To give some perspective how small these helmet orchids are, here is one with an Australian 5c coin (similar in size to a dime) next to it.

Pelican-orchid with small coin
    48287666322_3c27e04b41_b.

Photo of a Pelican-orchid to show the detail
    48287691772_32901a1254_b.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019 at 3:47 AM
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  19. Bushboy

Apr 22, 2018
    Aotearoa
    Charlie
    Wow! So cool. :)
    Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.