Focus bracketing questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dpswbab, Dec 7, 2015.

1. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    Hi, Everyone.

Have you found a good description of how to set the number of shots and the bracketing steps for various focus bracketing scenarios. I'm hoping someone, somewhere, can provide some guidance in this area so I can avoid a great deal of tedious testing. I'm interested in this for both macro work and landscapes. I've found a little info on the web, including this one: Utilising the OM-D E-M1 Ver. 4.0's Focus Stacking and Focus Bracketing Modes in Insect Photography, with Professional Photographer Kazuo Unno , but I'm looking for more generalized guidelines. Thanks.
  2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I have not found anything myself. Been going to set up my target for micro focus adjust and run some test but have not gotten around to it yet. Weather has been to nice to spend time with that. I'll probably get around to it in January/February when the weather has turned to crap.
  3. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    I've not tried it for landscape but have found that a 5 shot set at interval 3 works well for flowers using f/5.6 or 2.8 with an Olympus 25, 1.8 or f/5.6 with an Olympus 14-150. Sometimes I don't need all 5 shots, however.

A few examples:
    Olympus E-M 5II with Oly 25 1.8, f/5.6. Five shot stack interval 3

Oly 25 1.8, f/2.8. 3 shot stack, interval 3

Olympus 14-150 f/5.6. 5 shot stack
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    Thanks for that info and the wonderful examples, Gary. Since most of the info so far seems to be for close up work, I guess I'll have to try some experiments to see what works well for longer distance stuff. I would have thought Olympus might have provided some guidelines on this since it is such a potentially great feature.
  5. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    I have done stacking in the camera from minimum focus distance to infinity using the 12-40, set to 12mm at f/2.8.
    I got a very good result with the focus differential set to 8. Setting it to a smaller number did not allow it to reach the distant focus.

(Stacking in camera always takes 8 photos. In this case I started with the focus close-up as if I was doing bracketing, which is not the correct focus procedure in a normal case when doing in-camera stacking.)
  6. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    I think it would be really difficult to put together a meaningful guide for this feature, considering the number of intersecting variables, including lens focal length, aperture setting, distance to the subject, etc. For instance, I have found that the more shots in the bracket that I include in the stack, my chance of getting a mushy result increased; so maybe a different aperture, coupled with a wider interval and fewer shots in the stack works better, especially if hand holding.
  7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    I think you should find this page & site helpful. Extreme Macro - Focus Stacking by Johan J Ingles-Le Nobel
    It in particular also includes Focus Stacking Step Size Calculator which includes M4/3's.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon