Focus Bracketing on a G90

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi all

A quick question I hope ;)

I have been trying out the Focus Bracketing option on my G90 but have one question regarding the setting options

I understand 2 of them images taken and order of focus, its the steps one I need help with, I understand that for example a setting of 2 will move the focus twice the distance as in step one between each exposure but nowhere is it mentioned how you work out the number needed for a particular focus spread, obviously a setting of 1 step with 20 images taken will record a range twice the depth than a setting of 1 and 10 images.

Is there an easy way of working out how many steps and images need to be taken if for example I am photographing a Toadstool that is 20mm deep or in a landscape were I want from a few feet to infinity sharp.

Or have I completely miss understood how its supposed to work (Quite likely I know).

Thanks for any assistance with this.

Paul

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Did you see the recent thread where we tested some lenses to see how many pics were taken at a setting of 1?
Some lenses were up around 1000 pics for full focus range!
Mind numbing. And what does aperture have to do with it?
Talk about circles of confusion!!
I’m still trying to figure out how my voice can travel through a thin copper wire. I don’t know how that works, and I guess I don’t have to. It just does.
Regarding the bracketing number of frames needed, on Olympus bodies, you can use manual focus to select a start point and look at the lcd screen and actually watch where the focus is at, and simply press the shutter button again to stop the bracket. Does Panasonic not work this way?

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
One thing I don't understand with is how do you set it to do a full focus range, or for that matter a short focus range, when the only input is steps and number of picture taken, the start point can be set but not the end point.

Or does it just do a start to infinity sweep, which could kind of defeat the object of focus bracketing, especially in macro work were you may only want the focus area to be quite small compared to a landscape.

Paul

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
As far as I know, the number of pics and the differential number, are the only controls you have. Apart from the ability to press the shutter release again. Which does stop the bracket, at any point in the process. When I did bracketing I entered 100 pics as the amount but usually only needed 25-30 odd. Just watch the screen and press the shutter release when your done.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I don’t find differential 1 or 2 useful.
I find that 5 works quite well for most things.
I settled on 5 because it was exactly half way through the range. I don’t know what the range is, like the telephone, I don’t need to. It just works. But I do hope someone more knowledgeable pipes up and tells us.
I doubt 2 is twice 1, but it could be.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom