Focus Bracketing, buy E-M10 Mk II or wait for E-M1 Mk II

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Dave in Wales, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Wait for EM1..............
  3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    I guess it depends on several things; how useful and important this will be for you immediately, whether you have the ability to process the images into a single image, your available photo budget, and whether you think this will be made available for your current camera eventually. I'm waiting for the E-M1 Mk.II to maximize the cost/benefit ratio of my equipment purchases, especially since the big price jump in Canada.
  4. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    If the E-M1 Mark II implements hi-res focus bracketing; meaning it is able to capture a series of 40MP JPEG with different focus distance; now then that would be a killer assuming hi-res is able to do it in less than 1/60sec. I think they might and this might be worth the wait. But it's going to be very expensive at least in Canada just by looking at the price tag of the GX8. Otherwise, if you wait a few months later, then the E-M10 Mark II prices will drop and probably be more economical. I've btw waiting for the E-M1 Mark II and then evaluate what my options are then. Therefore, it comes down to how important is focus bracketing to you? Btw, while focus bracketing is useful for macro shots, it's also useful for landscapes especially if you print really big.
  5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Question........are the shots all in RAW or does this only work with JPG? I am assuming they are RAW files.
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I think they are just consecutive shots, so raw or JPEG as you have selected.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    Will wait for EM1 mark II
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It would also depend on if the E-M1 is too big and heavy for you or not, many people prefer the smaller size of the E-M5 and 10 styled bodies.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Problem is, there is no guarantee that the focus bracketing feature will be something they include on the EM1 Mk II.

If it is something that is important to you and you need it now, then buy accordingly. If you can wait until next year and see what the EM1 Mk II feature set includes - then wait. As has been stated previously, the EM10 Mk II prices will most likely be less than they are waiting, in this instance could be a win-win.