Focus brackerting and stacking

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by atlantic21, Dec 29, 2015.

1. atlantic21

atlantic21 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    UK
    Hi I have a question hope someone can help, when using ether bracketing or stacking I only seem to get only 1 picture out of 5 that is in focus (using a tripod ) is this normal many thanks

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Without seeing what you are photographing and what the results are, it is not possible to answer.
    If stacking, the last image will be made in the camera from the previous 8, and should be sharp.
    If bracketing a different part of each image will be sharp, when photographing an object which has different parts at different distances from the camera.
    Do you understand what focus bracketing and focus stacking are?

3. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Hard to tell as growl tiger said.

Try changing your step value and maybe try starting with focus on a different point of the object.

4. atlantic21

atlantic21 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    UK
    Thanks for the reply i am using focus bracketing for macro shoots, and focus stacking for landscape .Have watched different videos on each type and tried different settings ie focus differential, but only the first picture taken is in focus

5. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    For stacking, you will get 1 shot in focus, in my experience, it shows up as the 3 shot if I remember correctly - easy to spot, because the stacked picture is cropped, so make sure to frame properly. When you bracket, again, only the finished product should be completely sharp. At what F stop are you shooting when bracketing?

6. atlantic21

atlantic21 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    UK
    50orsohours I am shooting at F5.6 with 12-40 lens

7. atlantic21

atlantic21 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    UK
    Having better results by adjusting charge time to 1 second with this setting I can see it adjust the focus position as it takes each picture

8. sesser

sesser Zen Master

Mar 10, 2015
    Portland, OR
    randy
    Doesn't the focal plane only move away from the initial point of focus too? When I was playing around with it, it seems that was the behavior. I would set the initial focus point as close to the camera as possible for the initial frame.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. atlantic21

atlantic21 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    UK
    bikerhiker thank you so much for taking the time to explain this I now understand how it all works. I had looked at Helicon focus with the intension of trying the manual method of changing focus position next and thanks agin

10. atlantic21

atlantic21 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    UK
    The reason for posting my question I thought I might have a problem with my camera as it has just come back from repair for the second time

11. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    That is true for bracketing.

But with stacking it takes the first photo, then 2 photos closer, then 5 photos further away.

• Informative Informative x 2